Chapter 9 Next Steps

You and Shirou sit in a secluded part of a local coffee shop as Shirou wanted to take a coffee break. Shirou grumbles something under his breath before sipping from his cup of coffee. You wonder where to start with investigating. You look at the wolf beastman. "So Shirou, now that I'm a part of this case. Where are we going to start?"  You ask him. "I say we schedule an interrogation first. It'd be best to get information from the people who were present at the scene." The wolf responds. Huh? An interrogation? "Uh... who are we going to interrogate?" You ask curiously.

"Remember that kid you saved? Well, somethings about them just don't add up. I have a feeling they know more than they are letting on." Shirou says being fully serious. What!? He really wants to interrogate a kid!? "A-are you serious!? A kid!?" You shout. Shirou simply nods and holds a finger up to his mouth indicating for you to quiet down.

"Listen, something is off about them. I couldn't pick up their scent when I was in the building which is extremely odd for me. Also that substance that was covering the bomb was able to mask the scent of it. My theory is that somehow the kid came into contact with that substance which would have meant they might have came into contact with the device." Shirou explains. 

 From the way he's wording it almost sounds like he's accusing the kid of planting the bomb? Even if it does sound kind of crazy, he does make some good points. In fact if you are remembering correctly. When you were in the building there was more smoke coming from that room than there was any of the other rooms.

"O-okay then, if that's what you think is that best step then fine." You say. You still weren't completely on board with the idea of interrogating a child but...  Shirou probably knows more about what he's doing than you right now so you might as well go along with what he says. Shirou sighs and shakes his head. "It's not that easy though. We'll need to actually get the interrogation first." Shirou says. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a folder. The side of the folder was labeled with a stamp that read "Classified Information" in large text.

"This is the case file. We should start by finding out the kids name and information first." The wolf says as he flips through the file.  The wolf raises an eyebrow. "Huh? The police seemed to already have interrogated some of the witnesses at the scene." He stops at one of the pages in the file. "Hmm, however it doesn't seem like they were able to get any information from the kid due to their condition at the time..." 

"Her name is Alex White, she's 10 years old, and a female red panda beastman. She's the daughter of Tracy White, a single mother who has worked odd jobs to pay rent and keep food on the table for her and her daughter. Recently she landed a somewhat sustainable job at a local dinner. This local dinner was the same one housing the terrorists that bombed the apartments in the first place, however when questioned she seemed to have no knowledge of what was happening behind the scenes at her place of work." Shirou says.

You nod your head. "So they seem to be pretty connected to our case. Well, if that's so then we should do it." You say. Shirou simply nods in agreement. He had a slight smirk on his face. He was probably enjoying the fact that he was correct about the benefit of doing an interrogation from the start.

to be continued...