A - Last Christmas

Dearest of readers,

Today I must deliver some news that is utterly unbelievable: Christmas is only 5 days away. That's less than a week. 120 HOURS. Does it feel like it? No, not at all. For a few reasons. Which I will now discuss.

1. School

School has been entirely too problematic this year for countless reasons. The workload? Insane. The stress? Even more insane. Time off? Non-existent. It's gotten to the point where even when I'm done all of my work, I still feel like I should be stressing about something. 

Let's also acknowledge the fact that Christmas break BEGINS on CHRISTMAS EVE. Now, I have very mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I'm glad that the break begins so late because it means that we'll have more time off after New Year's Eve (which is now less than two weeks away... *shudder*... hold on I just reminded myself that Crazy Writing Week is swiftly approaching. I cannot wait). On the other hand, it feels nothing short of criminal for schools to expect us to do schoolwork this close to Christmas. I mean, seriously people. It's insanity.

You know what else is insanity? The fact that I got accepted into university today. That feels wrong to say. There is no way I'm old enough to be going to university in a few months. And yet, here we are. This is a great cascade into my next point:

2. Growing up

To be frank with you, Christmas not feeling like Christmas is not a new phenomenon for me at all. It started in 2018 and has only gotten worse since. 2020 and 2021 don't really count to me though since covid destroyed those Christmasses way more than my growing-upness did. 

I'm getting super off-track right now. What I really want to write about today is stated in the title: last Christmas. What a time.

December of 2021 was an alternate reality. In October of that same year, H and I had already started gearing up for our annual family Christmas gathering that was so tragically cancelled in 2020. H's mother had created a group chat to organize the event and we thought it was a green light. We were terribly, terribly wrong. 

In the weeks leading up to the date our gathering was supposed to be on, covid cases rose like never before. H and I still held onto hope, refusing to believe that this virus could ruin the best time of the year twice in a row. Days continued to pass and cases continued to rise until the gathering was officially illegal. But all was not lost.

You see, there was another thing happening throughout the weeks that we were so desperately hoping for our plans to not fall through: Spiderman: No Way Home was coming out. 

The anticipation was unreal

The anticipation was unreal. From the moment the trailer dropped, we knew that this movie was going to be life-changing. That excitement really carried us through this otherwise extremely dark period of time, and it was so worth it. No Way Home was indeed absolutely life-changing. Life-obliterating, even. 

I will never be the same again

The moral of the story? There is always a light in the darkness--and sometimes that light comes in the form of Andrew Garfield. Or youth paster Tobey Maguire.

 Or youth paster Tobey Maguire