16. We Unite

(Fifteen's POV)

Rex and I reach the beach without the Mogs following us. My illusions worked, but I know it will worn of any minute and the Mogs might figured out they're tricked. The way they tricked us from coming into a building and made we believe that Fourteen is there.

Once we saw the car was gone from the side mirrors of the truck, Rex stops the car immediately, it's like a running car through a cliff, but pause immediately so they won't fall. We inhale at the same time deeply, and then took off the car.

"What did you find inside the building?" Rex asks, as he walks towards the back of the truck getting his first-aid kit, cupping his wounds at the ribs.

"Nothing," I admit. "You?"

Rex spins a bandage around his left arm, and throws it to me. He knows I can't cover my wounds, there's must be another way, instead of keeping the bullet inside my body and cover it up. I'm fine so I didn't use it. "Bloods. All over the floor in a big room with mirrors as a wall."

I close my eyes, right hand at my forehead, and let a tear fall through my cheeks. Fourteen might be dead, but I knew I have to believe he's still alive. Now we made so much mess in Rio de Janeiro. I wonder what the government will will do with us. Are we already in news? Then we have to leave.

"It's okay," Rex says, patting my back again. "We'll figure this out. But we have to rest, okay?"

I nod as I lean my head to Rex's chest. I hope its okay for him too. I don't know why I'm crying. But it doesn't mean I'm weak. I'm just disappointed for everything we've done. We travel through here just to find Fourteen, but then only found nothing. Dead end, it's what I call.

But then I realize it wasn't over yet. After a minute, I heard cars. Four, maybe five. I look around to see what it was. It's the black cars from before. The Mogs followed us. They all get out from their cars, guns facing at Rex and me.

At the corner of my eye, I can see some people are running and some are taking pictures. I don't know what to do now. The Mogs are circling us. We are trapped again and we can't go anywhere, unless I use my illusions again.

As soon as I raise my left arm, a Mog shoot with right at my neck. Rex calls my name but remains at his feet. I felt weak suddenly. I pulled out the thing that hit me at my neck, and then throw it at the sand. Then I try to change the scene into a different one. A forest maybe or a city. Anything would do. But I look around and realize nothing happened.

I did it again, but nothing's change. I can't use my Legacies. I think it nulls my powers, disabling me from using it against them

I try to get up and Rex helps me, but the Mogs shoot at Rex. Right at his chest. And then he falls at the sand.

"NO!" I yell. I run at him, bloods coming out from his chest. I can touch him now; probably not kill him, as my legacies are not working now.

Rex is going to die and I can't do anything. He spits bloods instead of saliva and I try to stop him. I cried again but one of the Mogs grabs my arm, pulling me away from Rex.

They throw me at the other side of the sand. Four of the Mogs draws near to me and their guns facing me. I close my eyes, praying to the Elders what happens when I die.

Then suddenly there's a roar. I heard it. It wasn't a make-up roar or anything, so I open my eyes. The Mogs are about to shoot me, but something went wrong.

No, it wasn't wrong. It's a miracle, I guess. Jian lunge at the four Mogs in front of me, snapping and tearing their bodies apart until they turn into ashes.