7

"This is Stanley. Stanley Theodore here will be your mentor" I groaned.

"It's armpit" I hissed at the new boy. He was skinny and looked like he'd just seen a ghost. He hugged his bag and looked at everyone fearfully.

"Barf bag slept here" armpit said as his bag was set on his new bunk. X ray motioned for me to follow them out of the tent. I did- knocking Stanley's hat off on my way out.

"Fucking dweeb" I laughed. Though- I didn't mean any of this- it seemed like a kind of tradition here I would probably apologize later.

...

It was dinner now and I made my way to the mess hall with Zero.

"Okay but we would need food" I protested.

"Well plants exist right?" He suggested. He had his hands in his pockets his hair fell in front of his face.

"At Camp Green Lake? Nah" I shook my head and laughed. He chuckles at my joke.

"And what about water" I added. He smiled slightly and squinted- thinking. I took this time to admire my friends face. He had dark skin and perfect features, my favorite being his hair. It fell in front of his face in its curly glory

"Take picture it'll last longer" he teased my face got red as I turned away.

"So give up yet?" I asked as we approached the line.

"Fine" he sighed. I held an L to his face with my hand, he retaliated by grabbing my finger and twisting.

"Ill bite you" I hissed after pulling it away with some difficulty. The slop was sent on our trays before we sat with tent d.

"Man how you do that shit" magnet asked as soon as we sat down. I furrowed my brows not expecting any help from zero during this conversation.

"I mean- you really had a whole conversation with that mole" x ray laughed. I glared at him.

"His business who he taps to I'm not his keeper" I sneered. Zero seemed happy on the outside of this conversation.

"Cmon Zero knows we just playing right?" He nudged the quiet boy. Zero held eye contact and nodded. I laughed softly.

"So Stanley what'd you do?" X ray asked him. The thought of him being shoved by armpit almost made me laugh.

"Stole a pair of shoes" he said with a slight smile. I glanced at zero.

{Flashback brought to you by Mr Sirs Sunflower Seeds}

I moved my knight to the one spot I believed it could go. I barely knew how to play chess and had to ask Zero a question every two moves.

"So what did you do" I asked as I sat back. He move a piece on the board.

(Literally what he said to Stanley so I don't have to type it LMFAO)

I took a breath Id only stayed at one shelter before they tried to call my parents. I had never tried again. I moved a piece on the board and we continued our conversation.

{End of flashback}

He glance up at Stanley then to me.

"From the store? Or were they still on someone's feet!" Squid exclaimed the boys laughed.

"Nah he just killed the guy first right?"

...

The next day me and zero dug our holes the fastest, and were already at camp. I elbowed him for a quip he got in as we laughed. We were in the tent trying to avoid the hot sun. I drank the last of my water in one gulp.

"I'm gonna go refill before I fucking die out here" I groaned and stood. Zero stood to follow me and we walked towards the water spigot.

"What if we actually left" I said filling my cantine

"It'd be awesome " he said looking out towards the road.

"Magnets done" he pointed towards the road and squinted at the sun. I turned my head as I capped the container

"Hey Magnet!" I waved he waved back and headed towards the showers. I had already showered- in a swim suit obviously.

"Anyway I feel like we should come back and steal a bus" I joked.

"Yeah at night and drive back to Dallas" I thought about introducing Zero to Quin jack- Daniel I found out from Quins letters- got moved by CPS but Q gave him by goodbye letter.

"Why" I asked as we walked into the still empty tent

"What" he furrowed his eyebrows.

"Why go back to Dallas? Why not, somewhere we wanna be" I looked up at my friend who had stopped in his tracks a couple moments ago.

"Touche" he said keeping eye contact. I only now realized how close we were to each other. My face went red but I couldn't look away from him. I felt myself leaning up to him when I heard booming voices behind me, faltering my movements.

"Stanley still out there" laughter. I took a step back from zero who simply looked at the boys as they piled in, with annoyance.

"Hey look it's tweedle dee-" squid pointed to me.

"-and tweedle dumbass-" he pointed to zero

"I will turn you inside out" I said sarcastically I knew now not to get involved too much as they were usually joking squid laughed and joined a conversation between Magnet and X Ray

...

A/n idk if I like this chapter bit wtv. Things have been so crazy for new years shit so sorry I haven't updated lol I'm thinking about starting another story 🤔