Chapter 11:

Five was on her way to see One. They usually eat dinner together. Then go out for a walk and talk about things.

Mostly related to the so-called academy and things inside it.

She doesn't regret falling in love with him. She doesn't regret their marriage. She doesn't regret wanting to help the population of Los Angeles.

But she does regret having anything to do with this. Hurting a bunch of kids.

She did not sign up for this. This is not what she wanted.

And the team she got assigned, the one with the girl, is full of smart kids. They'll probably figure it out soon enough.

They probably already have.

She meets One in the cafeteria like usual. Or as she likes to call him "Wade."

He looks up and gives her a stiff nod. "It's about time you got here."

She sits beside him and they hug.

"What have you been working on?" Five asks.

He holds out a gun. "I was trying to see which angle I'd look better shooting from.

The back of Five's neck hairs stood up a little. "You're going to go through with it? Wade, she's just a girl."

He frowns at her. "And what's your point?"

"I didn't come here so we could destroy these children. We are supposed to be helping Los Angeles not underpopulating it."

He glares at her. "I don't even think that's a word."

After a while of arguing, they finally go for a walk.

"Wendy," he says. "This is hard for you, isn't it?"

She looks at him. She hasn't seen much sympathy in his eyes. She didn't expect any then either. So she just shrugs. "If the cops find out what we're doing---"

He hisses four words that send a shiver down her spine. "We own the cops."

She looks at him. "What?"

He had a proud grin in his face. "I got the mayor to give me full control of the Los Angeles Police Department. I won't tell you how. But let's just say he won't be bothering us for a while."

Five pulls away from him. "Wade! You killed him?"

He laughs a little, a sound that makes her fear for the lives of the children. "Now, now. Don't get me angry."

That's the last thing I want to do, she thinks to herself.

For the rest of the day, she pleases him. Trying to keep him in his never-present good mood.

But deep inside, she's angry.

And that scares her most of all.

HEY!!!! SORRY IT TOOK A WHILE. I REALLY HOPE YOU LIKE IT, THOUGH.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING! IT MEANS A LOT.