Chapter 12: Lissa

I am starting to freak out.

I've never really been followed before. And it is a hallway so I could be wrong.

But I think he's following me. He's not sixteen. I know that much. He looks older. Much, much older.

I try to find Daniel. Or Diana. Anyone who can help me.

I find them in the cafeteria.

They look up at me. "Hey, we were just talking about you."

Daniel notices my face. "Is something wrong?"

I nod and look behind my back. He is standing by the door. Staring right at me. "I'm being followed. I think so. I didn't know at first because I was standing in the hallway. He could've just been walking around. But he's been everywhere I've been. And he's here right now---"

Diana stands up. "Calm down," she tells me. "I don't think you're being followed, Lissa. Maybe he's just there."

Daniel looks over my shoulder. "He's looking right at us. Do you know him?"

I shake my head. "I wouldn't be freaking out of I did."

He frowns. "He doesn't look sixteen."

"Though he is cute," Diana says.

We glare at her.

She shrugs. "Sorry. I'm just stating the obvious."

I crack a smile. "He is a little cute."

She laughs. "I know, right!"

"Let's go tell Five," Daniel suggests, rolling his eyes. "Maybe she can do something about it."

Five was standing with the other leaders. One was nowhere to be seen.

"We have to talk to you," Diana tells her, her voice trembling.

She looks at me and Daniel, then nods. "Let's go over there," she says, pointing at a corner.

Daniel speaks first. "Lissa thinks that guy over there is following her."

Five's eyes flare a little. "There's a guy? And he's following you?"

I nod. "I was just walking through the hallway so I just thought he was walking like the others. But then he kept on watching me. He's here now."

She looks up, searching. "Where?"

I turn to point at the man. But as I look at the door in which he was standing at moments earlier, he wasn't there. We look around the room for the man but he's nowhere to be seen.

Daniel curses under his breath. "That means he's coming back."

As much as I hate to think about it, I know he's right. If he really is following me and he really wants something from me, then he's coming back. And he'll keep coming back until he gets me.

The thought makes me want to cry. Mom told me this would happen. Mom told me I would have to be careful and stay as low-key as possible. But I didn't think I'd be in danger like this.

Five told us not to worry about it, the tone in her voice suggesting she thinks we've gone insane but her eyes showing the complete opposite. Her eyes mirrored my emotions in a way that I never thought possible. She believes me. But she's trying to pretend she doesn't.

She looks at me and sees how frightened I looked. "Don't worry about it," she says reassuringly. "It was probably no one."

Daniel, Diana, and I made our way back to our room.

"Something is definitely going on," Daniel says. "Lissa, have you talked to your mom?"

I absently shake my head. Why would Five be scared? Is the man following her, too?

Daniel walks up to me and pulls me into a hug. "You'll be okay," he tells me. "I won't let a single thing happen to you."

Slowly, I wrap my arms around his waist. "I know," I say back, laying my head against the crook of his neck.

I can't believe we spent our time last week fighting. And over one stupid kiss. I mean, it's bound to happen again, isn't it?

"You guys," Diana coos. "You are so adorable! What are you waiting on?"

Daniel pulls away and we both face her. "Just each other, I guess," he says quietly.

I purse my lips and move towards my bed. He makes no move to sit beside me. He just stands there looking at the ground.

Diana looks between me and him for a moment before shaking her head. "Y'all are stupid."

I laugh at her attempt of using a country accent. "Don't ever talk like that again."

She smiles. "You know it's true. Just date already."

I was about to protest when there's an urgent knock on the door. "You guys, it's Peter. Let me in."

Diana opens the door and Peter runs in, Macy right behind him. Both looking very afraid.

"What happened?" I asked.

Peter is more calm then Macy, therefore he's the first to speak. "It's Joshua. He's..." he trails off, his voice breaking.

Daniel looks at him. "What's wrong with Joshua?"

He didn't have to finish his sentence. I knew already what he was trying to say.

I immediately got up and started running out of the room. Peter and Macy followed. With Daniel and Diana behind them.

Peter grabs my arms and stops me before I walk into their room. "You can't go in. You won't like what you see."

I pull away from his firm grip and walk in the room. What I see makes me gasp.

Joshua's body lay beside the window. There was no blood. No stains or anything. He just simply lay there. And any other time I would thought he was sleeping. But I knew better.

It's no coincidence how the man that was following me disappeared right as I was about to get him busted. It's no coincidence how Joshua, who was starting to become a very close friend, was lifelessly laying down. His arms limp at his sides. Not making a single movement.

"Oh my gosh," Diana says behind me. "Is he---"

She doesn't finish.

I do it for all of them.

I turn to face them. They're eyes hollow and blank. Searching. As if they'd expect him to just wake up and laugh at us for believing for a split second that he was... dead.

HEY!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK?? SORRY IT TOOK A WHILE. I LOCKED MYSELF OUT OF THE WATTPAD APP AND DIDNT KNOW MY PASSWORD. IT TOOK ALL DAY BUT I FINALLY MANAGED TO LOG BACK IN.

BUT THANKS FOR READING. I REALLY HOPE YOU LIKE THIS ONE. SORRY IT HAD A SAD ENDING.

PLEASE COMMENT :) IT WOULD MEAN SO MUCH. EVEN IF ITS JUST TO POINT OUT MISTAKES. I DONT CARE. I COULD USE ALL THE HELP I CAN GET.

THANK YOU AGAIN!!