Chapter 18: Daniel

The moment he pulled out the gun I started running. There is no way they are going to hurt her. I mean, who do they think they are?

The leaders notice me take action and move to block me.

"Lissa," I yell.

"Stay back," Four snarls at me. "Or you'll go too."

Peter catches up to me and pulls me away. "Dude, we can't just fight them or we'll get killed as well," he says when we're behind the crowd.

I look at him incredulously. "She could get shot, Peter. Whether we fight them or not, it won't mean anything if she's dead."

He nods. "I get that. But we won't be any good to her if we're dead."

I give a frustrated groan. "I just want her out of there."

Peter nods and I can tell he wants her out too. But I know he's right. We can't just start attacking these leaders. It won't help the situation.

Then I heard a gun shot. Screams erupted from the cafeteria and I felt myself stiffen.

"Holy crap," someone cries.

I run back over to the stage with Peter in tow. What I saw made me almost scream as well.

One looked furious as he gazed down at the limp creature. Lissa was laying down but I don't know if she got hit or not. Seven walks over to her and grabs Lissa by her hair---I'm just glad she's not dead yet. She lets out a scream before he points the gun at her stomach.

"Stop!" I yell.

It was loud enough to make them hear me. One looks over at me in amusement and nods at one of the other leaders.

Next thing I know, I was being dragged to the stage. They stood me beside Lissa. She collapsed in my arms and I felt grateful to hold her. Her body shook with violent sobs. It took every ounce of courage for me to not punch them in the face.

"Did you get hit?" I ask, worry filled in my voice.

She looks at herself as if not believing she was actually standing but then I saw the puddle of blood flowing from her knee. "How did I not notice that?" she asks, her eyes widening in horror.

I helped her sit down as she cried in pain. Diana and Peter were let on the stage. Peter takes off his shirt and gently wraps it around her knee in a effort to make the blood stop flowing.

It's actually too low for it to be considered her knee but it's too high to say she got hit in the leg. So I'm not very sure which it is.

The leaders were silently watching as we make an effort to help our hurting friend.

Five walks over to us with a bunch of medical supplies.

"Go away," Peter says angrily. "You are no better than they are."

"Please," she says, her voice filled with remorse. "We have to get to the other room before they change their mind."

We carry Lissa over to a small room at the end of the hallway. She was starting to lose consciousness from the loss of blood but at least she was done crying.

"Set her down here," Five commands, pointing to a small bed in the corner.

Macy walks in the room with a bewildered look.

"Nice to see you finally showed up," Diana says in a harsh voice.

Macy glares at her. "I wasn't wanting to get myself shot. Did you guys even have a plan? Going up there and screaming was not going to solve anything."

"Because standing with everyone else watching as they hurt her was totally going to do something," she snaps.

"You know?" Macy spits at her. "They let her go now but it won't be a matter of time before they try to get to her again. So don't give me crap."

"You guys," Peter says wearily. "Stop arguing."

But they ignore us. And soon their yelling got louder and I was starting to get a headache.

"Shut up," I say over them. "Just stop talking."

They both turn to look at me, an angry look on their faces.

"Turning against each other only makes it worse. So stop arguing and just shut up."

Lissa lets out a painful moan and squeezes my hand.

"How are you?" I ask her.

She looks me in the eye and there are such intense emotions that I believe I'm not even looking at the same person anymore. "We have to get out of here," she says in a low voice.

I nod, furrowing my brow. "I know, Lissa. We will."

We had all forgotten Five was in the room until she cleared her throat. The tension intensifies as she looks down at the floor. "She's right. But you can't just pack up and move. They'll take notice."

"Like you ever cared," Peter says angrily. "You don't have a right to be here. You're one of them and that's enough reason for us to hate you too."

She nods, her shoulders sagging a little. "I know. But you have to believe me when I say, they will try to hurt you again. If you think Joshua was some sort of accident then you're wrong. They will try to get all of you."

"Why?" Macy asks, her voice shaking.

She hesitates for a moment, looking fearfully at the door. "I've already said to much," she says in a quiet voice. "But please, stay out of trouble."

We all look at each other for a moment before Five wipes her bloodstained hands on the towel. "I should go back before they think something happened. But I'm just going to say something, The Test will get harder. They are looking for your strategy skills. It's not something you study for. It's just an instinct sort of thing. So don't let your feelings overwhelm you when you're being Tested. It could cost you. And you don't want that."

We all nod, the weight of her words settling in.

"What about Lissa?" Diana asks.

Five sends her a sad look before looking away. "Let her rest for a few hours. When she wakes up, take her to her room. She'll need enough energy for tomorrow."

"So will you," she adds as an afterthought.

Before we could ask what she meant, she slips out of the room. Leaving us all with a slightly unconscious Lissa.

I place a kiss on Lissa's forehead before taking a seat beside Peter.

"So what now?" Macy asks.

I place my head in my hands. "We wait a few hours."

HEY!!! I'M SORRY THIS TOOK A WHILE. BUT I DIDNT KNOW WHAT TO MAKE THIS CHAPTER ABOUT. I DONT KNOW HOW TO LEAD UP TO THE WONDERFUL ENDING I HAVE IN STORE FOR YOU GUYS.

ANYWAYS, WERE YOU SURPRISED WHEN LISSA GOT SHOT IN THE LEG? OR WHEN THE LEADERS LET HER GO? WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT FIVE TOLD THEM?

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU GUYS. ITS KIND OF OVERWHELMING WRITING A STORY AND NOT KNOWING WHAT YOUR READERS THINK ABOUT IT. SO PLEASE FEEL FREE TO VOTE/COMMENT.

THANKS FOR READING!!! I CANNOT USE WORDS TO DESCRIBE HOW HAPPY I AM THAT YOU CHOSE TO READ MY STORY.

ALSO, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY OTHER STORY 'WHY WAIT?'. I STARTED POSTING A FEW WEEKS AGO BUT I PROMISE I WILL SON ADD MORE.

AGAIN, THANKS FOR READING.

HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY!!!!