Chapter 26: Daniel

"Wait," Diana says, holding up her arm. "Repeat that again."

I sigh. "We are going to Canada."

She nods. "That's where you are confusing me. Why exactly are we going to Canada?"

I shrug. "Well, you don't have to come with me. But I'm going. That's where they are taking Lissa."

"Are you serious?" Peter demands. "It's freaking Canada."

Diana lets out a nervous laugh. "I don't know if you know this but we live in California. And I'm not sure if you're aware of the fact that this 'academy' is under high tech surveillance. How are we even going to get out of here?"

"That's where I come in," Lucas says in a bored tone. "There's an airport near the academy. We sneak around the back and head up north in order to get there. The leaders already flew there today. They should be on their way to the underground facility."

Peter looks at him. "And who are you, exactly?"

Lucas rolls his eyes. "We've met before, idiot. I'm Lucas."

I sigh. After I found the letter, there was a loud knock against my door. I went up to open it and found Lucas. He explained to me who he was and what the plan would be for when we left tomorrow. Then we found Diana and Peter and tried explaining what was going on.

And they still don't understand what's going on.

"You guys," I say, running a hand through my face. "What is there not to understand? You either come with us, or you don't. We are going to Canada. As in, Canada. You know? Up north. Very high up. If you've heard of Justin Bieber then you know what I'm talking about. But yes, that is where we are going. To help Lissa. The girl who was just taken a few hours ago? That one. And I don't expect you to come with me. Just letting you know what's happening."

I say all of this slowly just in case they don't seem to understand.

Diana glares at me. "No need to be sarcastic," she snaps.

I roll my eyes. "Well, if you would just understand. It's not that hard."

Peter looks at Lucas. "And why is he involved in this?"

Lucas glares at him. "Because my father is not one you mess with. And if you - or this idiot here - go on your own, then you will get killed. And you won't do her any good if you're dead."

"That psychopath is your dad?" Peter demands.

I groan loudly. "Shut up. We didn't come over here to tell you that. We came to tell you the plan. I'm going either way. But you guys need to think this through. I'll be back around four in the morning."

And with that, I leave the room.

Lucas had followed me out. "Hey, Daniel," he calls out. "Wait up."

I stop and turn around. "What?"

He sighs and rubs the back of his neck. "Look, it's not going to be easy. My dad is all about proving himself. He won't give up too easy."

I shrug and look away. "I just want Lissa to be okay."

"Me too," he tells me. "Which is why we have to stay alive. Okay? Don't just do stupid things because yu don't know what to do. Actually think things through."

I nod. "Okay. I guess that makes sense."

He then gives me a crooked smile. "We should rest. It's going to be a long day tomorrow."

"Right," I say, walking back to my room.

~*~

Lucas and I were about to board the plane when we hear our names being called. When we turn around, we see Diana and Peter running up to us.

"Wait!" Diana calls. "Dont leave us."

Peter leans over on the side of the plane and tried to catch his breath. "Never try to run that far. It hurts."

Lucas rolls his eyes. "Well, we probably won't be coming back here. So... welcome, I guess. Thanks for joining us."

My stomach was in knots the e tired plane ride to Canada. Peter and Lucas played card games while Diana looked out the window with an u readable expression across her face.

I'm scared.

Terrified.

What if she isn't alive by the time we get there? What if this whole thing was for nothing? I mean, I understand this won't be an easy - or fair - fight. But she has to be okay.

But most of all, I am furious. Because what right do they have to torture someone just because they got made fun of - assuming that's the case. If he's just trying to prove a point then there are other ways to do so. Other ways that don't include the torture of sixteen-year-olds.

But before I can think any further, I am fast asleep.

It felt like I had slept minutes when I was finally being shaken awake. "Daniel," Diana says quietly. "We're here."

I yawn and sit up. Lucas was grabbing our backpacks and Peter was sharpening a knife he found in the restroom.

"Okay," Lucas says after he takes all of the stuff. "Here's a map of where we are going. It's huge, so unless we need to split up, which we probably won't, we are staying together.

He was holding out a map of the compound on it. It looks really large. There's literally no way we will be able to find her in time. I mean, she could be dead.

"Hey," Lucas says, snapping his fingers in front of my face. "Don't worry, okay? We'll find her."

I guess it had been evident on my face that I was obsessing over the fact that we could possibly never see her again.

HEY!! THIS ONE IS SLIGHTLY SHORTER. SO IM SORRY. BUT I STILL HOPE YOU LIKE IT.

IT WILL MOSTLY BE IN DANIELS POV FOR A WHILE. THERE WILL BE AN EPILOGUE. AND THERE WILL BE A SEQUEL. IT WILL BE NAMED 'PASSING". ILL PUT UP A PROLOGUE BUT I WONT ACTUALLY START WRITING IT UBTIL I FINISH THIS STORY.

PLEASE COMMENT. IT WOULD MEAN ALOT IF YOU DID.

THANKS FOR READING. SEE YOU NEXT WEEK!!!