Chapter 19: Lissa

The next day, I was forced to walk out. My leg is killing me so I was a little slow. There's a hole in my leg from where the bullet went in. But Five had least taken out the bullet. It still hurt like crazy, though.

Daniel and my friends were trying to help but they have to understand how painful this is. I have to limp everywhere and no one seems to make it any easier.

"Are you okay?" Daniel asks me, handing me a plate of food. He takes a seat beside me and starts eating his own food.

I nod. "I'm not in as much pain as when I woke up."

He gives me a sympathetic look. "I'm just glad you're still here," he says softly.

A smile forms on my lips. "So am I."

Peter and the girls sit in front of us.

"You look pained," Diana tells me.

I was biting my lip to keep myself from crying out. So instead of saying anything, I nod and pick up my fork.

"There's a different Test they're doing today," Macy says. "Are they going to make you do it?"

I nod again. But I know I have to explain. "If I don't do it, they'll actually Fail me. Though it's probably nowhere near as bad as whatever it is they're planning. But I still have to."

They all saw what happened yesterday on the stage. I'm sure everyone did. What it was that kept Seven from killing me still remains a mystery. But that means that it's still my job to get us out of here. And that I can't let my friends down.

No pressure, Lissa.
~•~
"This is round two of The Test," Five was telling everyone. "We put you in a room with your group---we won't say what's in there---and you try your best to get out."

Seven rolls his eyes at her attempt at being nice. "It's a maze. If you don't get out, we make sure you Fail. No exceptions." He said that and glared at me at the same time. I didn't miss the way his eyes grew cold. If I do happen to Fail again, I know he wouldn't hesitate to kill me.

My back stiffened a little and I let out an involuntary whimper at the thought of him hurting me again.

Daniel, who already had his arm around me, gently squeezes my arm. He knows I'm scared. I don't have to tell him. It's obvious. My hair---from where they pulled it---is still in very much pain.

"Nothing will happen to you," Peter says from beside me.

Between Daniel and Peter, I know I'll be okay. At least for the time being.

Five was talking again. I didn't hear a word she was saying. The pain in my leg is getting harder to handle. It hurts like crazy. Why am I not dead? It'd be a lot less painful if I had actually gotten killed.

I know that's just crazy talk. If they had killed me, I'd never be able to see Daniel again. I wouldn't know how he would react---probably not good at all. Peter, Diana, and Macy are my friends now. I can't just leave them, even if I wanted to.

I shake my head, getting rid of the thoughts before I become obsessed with thinking about them.

Everyone was looking at me. I freeze. Why am I being stared at? What's going on?

I lean closer to Daniel and he holds me tighter.

The leaders were looking at me as well. "Come up here," Five says in a quiet voice.

I slowly make my way up the stage.

Four hands me some crutches to walk with. "You're not exempt from The Test unless you want to Fail. But you will need these."

Cautiously, I take them. My eyes were starting to water but I blink back the tears and look beyond the crowd.

Again, I freeze.

It's that guy. The one who followed me the other day---and probably killed my friend. He's standing at the door to the cafeteria watching me with a smirk on his face. I try to read his expression but keep failing. He's excited about something. And I notice that the leaders are too.

I look down at the crutches they gave me. They were shiny where my pits were supposed to go. Ripping a part of my shirt, I touch the weird substance.

Immediately, my shirt starts burning. I quickly drop the piece of cloth and the crutches to the floor.

Five looks down. The rest of the leaders look furious. "Do you not like them?" Seven asks through clenched teeth.

I glare at him, trying to calm my breathing. "I am not using those crutches," I say firmly.

Daniel was waiting by the side of the stage for me. "How did you know what that was?"

I look up at him. "I didn't."

His brows furrows. "Then how did you know not to use them?"

A small smile forms my lips. "They aren't very good at hiding how they feel."

He kisses my temple. "Well, I'm glad you were smart enough to figure that out. I thought they were actually trying to help you."

"That will be the day."

I look back at the door. The guy was still there. He looked absolutely shocked. Then completely angry. His eyes were searching for me but I could tell he was just curious as to how I knew the crutches were poisoned.

I wouldn't have known if I hadn't noticed him. So in a way, I should thank him.

Obviously, I won't. I can't let him know I know he's here.
~•~
When my group got locked in the room, we expected a small room. But no. This is an actual maze.

"This is huge," Macy says, her voice laced in fear. "How will we get out in time?"

They all look at me. I stare down at the map they gave us. It's not very detailed. I still haven't found our entrance on the paper. I know there are four entrances. And to Pass, we have to make it to the middle before the time is up. The whole group. Not just one person.

"Let's split up," I say quietly.

They look at me like I've grown an extra head. "What?" they demand.

I look up at them. "It's the only way we can find our way to the middle. If we all go together it will slow us down. We only have twenty minutes to get there. So I say we split up."

I don't wait for their reaction. I cut the paper into four sections. "One person will have to have a partner. But we each get a section. Macy, you take section 1. Diana, you take section 2. Peter, you take section 3. And Daniel, you get section 4."

"What about you?" Peter asks.

I give a sheepish smile. "I'm going to need help walking around. I was hoping one of you will let me tag along."

Diana quickly raises her hand. "Definitely me. I'm not doing this alone."

Macy scoffs. "I'm way more scared than you are, Diana. She's the leader, let her pick."

I roll my eyes. "Please don't call me that." I think for a moment. Daniel and Peter will be fine in their own. Diana probably will be too, if she doesn't let fear get the best of her. Macy is fast but she doesn't do well under pressure. She'll need help getting motivated. I can't leave her.

I mentally rule out the three and look up at them. "I pick...Macy."

HEY!!! I DONT KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT THIS CHAPTER. IT ISNT MY BEST. BUT I STILL HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE IT.

THE IMPORTANT THIS IS: LISSA IS ALIVE!!!

WHAT DID YOU THINK? DO YOU LIKE IT SO FAR? WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT LISSA'S REACTION TO THE CRUTCHES BEING POISONED? OR THE DUDE STANDING AT THE DOORWAY?

THANK YOU GUYS FOR READING!! I COULD REALLY USE SOME MORE FEEDBACK. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO WRITE NEXT SO SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE NICE.

HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY!!!