Chapter 1 - Captive

*Edited*

Is it really freedom if you never had the ability to choose?

Chapter 1: Captive

Blurry rays of sunlight filtered through the canopy of dark green leaves above me. Eyes blurry with exhaustion and pain, it took my mind a few moments to remember where I was and why my head bobbed on a limp neck when I knew I certainly wasn't walking. Two arms, one under my knees and one supporting my torso, held me against a sturdy chest. I could even make out the side of the Beta's face, set into a stern expression as he carried me.

The pack was still travelling. They'd left their camp over a week ago, I assumed to make for land they could hide out the worst of the winter in. However, where that was or how long it would take to get there, I didn't know. Nor did I know what they had planned for me. Not that I really cared anymore. A numb resignation had taken over the second I realised the Alpha pair intended for me to join them, and that the Beta would be the one forced to make sure I kept up.

I spent most of my time in his arms lost in thought. Some days I watched the pups run around playing their games in a mix of skin and fur. Other times I could barely focus on more than the sway of the world around me in shifting shades of brown, green and blue. Miles beyond counting the pack must have travelled and the Beta never faltered or tired of lugging my extra weight around. He only put me down when we stopped for food, water, or sleep. Not that being out of his hold gave me much freedom.

The pack didn't trust me not to run even when I only had the use of one leg, and they were right to. Tied to whatever tree was sturdy enough, I was kept well away from where the pack rested. It wasn't far away enough. With so many untrusting wolves who openly glared and growled at me, I couldn't risk closing my eyes to sleep. Unfortunately, nights spent fighting exhaustion meant I often found myself falling asleep in my captor's arms.

As I must have today.

I scowled, then whipped my gaze to the smiling healer who loped next to us. Loose honey blond hair framed soft features that made him appear younger than his years, and his scent was earthy sweet. Tall and long limbed, he could have been mistaken for one of the warriors if it weren't for the skipping way with which he moved, and the lack of anything intimidating about him at all. Even now while he watched me scowl, bright blue eyes shimmered as his lips widened into a full grin.

Demeanour aside, he was another male who wouldn't leave me alone. He stayed to make sure I didn't touch healing wounds. Every time he caught me lifting bound hands to scratch the scabbing bite over my breast, he would slap it away. No amount of flashing fangs or attempted biting seemed to phase him anymore. He'd let me get him once and wasn't willing to go again.

"She's been quieter today," he noted.

The Beta hummed and peered briefly down at me. "She's been sleeping."

I shifted, hating any amount of attention, more so when they spoke like I didn't understand or couldn't hear. Today was already wearing on my patience. My neck hurt, I wanted to stretch out stiff muscles, rub my leg a bit to see if maybe the bone had healed enough to take my weight.

"Has she told you her name yet?"

"No." Frustrated with his lack of progress, the Beta shifted me in his arms. "She hasn't spoken at all since we found her by the river. I'm not sure what Alpha Jakkon and Signy think they can accomplish with her."

There was that flicker of annoyance tensing his jaw. I liked to watch it. I enjoyed thwarting him. He demanded my submission so often, with snapping teeth and threats, but apparently no nerve to go through with it. Perhaps there was no honour in hurting an already injured wolf, or maybe he understood pain would do little to sway me. He'd gotten me into his arms, I'd stopped putting up so much of a fight, was that not enough of a win for him? Why did it matter that I didn't give him some random word to call me by?