Chapter 16 ~ The Beta

Chapter 16: The Beta
~

I ran for what felt like hours, way after my body began to scream for me to slow down. My chest heaved a struggle for every breath, muscles burning from exertion. Another step had me crumpling to the ground and whining pathetically. I'd been following a scent, the scent of the only wolf I wanted to be near right now.

I wanted to be the one to tell him that fate was laughing at me, cursing me with a pup growing in my belly that was created in violence and blood. A gift I'd always feared I'd never have but never wanted like this. But it was still just a pup, an innocent, and I wouldn't let it be brought up like I had been.

My wolf demanded I get to the Beta, instinct assuring me he'd calm me down even while I feared his reaction.

Bjarke isn't going to like this, those had been Signy's words and they clawed at my restraint. Another whimper, limbs trembling as I tried to get myself back up to my paws. It wasn't safe out here alone, I should have thought of that. There was more than just my body I had to care for now.

No matter how hard I tried to get up, my body just wouldn't listen. I slumped once more, giving up with no care what happened to me now. I was still panting hard, and that seemed to exhaust me all the more. Shuddering, I shifted back to my skin and screamed in a mix of grief and frustration.

Why? Why did this have to happen? Just as I was beginning to feel like I'd found a little peace, it all came crashing down around me.

I managed to drag myself over to a tree, leaning against rough bark with one hand moving over my abdomen as if I could feel the pup there. Two months, maybe longer, shouldn't there have been more of bump? Another sob and I went from wishing I wasn't pregnant, to praying the little life was okay; that beatings and starvation hadn't harmed it.

Would Valdis have kept me with him if he'd known I was carrying his child? Would he have taken me as his mate and raised the pup? I couldn't see it. But Valdis was a possessive wolf and I was secretly relieved my body had hidden the fact I was pregnant even from me.

"Mood swings," I muttered to myself with a husky chuckle. The sound grew louder until I was laughing a little hysterically and shaking my head at the sky.

It was a fleeting break from feeling as though the world was falling apart. When it was clear that I was completely alone out here, a sense of helplessness and stupidity set in. Only a few weeks ago Katrin and I had been attacked out here and yet here I was, alone and lost in the wild. The pup was cursed to having me as a mother. That started more tears that fell with only little gasping breaths as I tried to stay alert.

I searched my surroundings for any sign that told me where I was or even which direction I'd come from. Then I caught the scent I'd been following on the breeze, stronger now. I spotted his wolf in the trees and he shifted the moment his eyes found me. A burst of energy flooded through my veins alongside relief and I managed to get to my feet. Whatever phrase I tried to get out was garbled by my cries and I didn't care that the Alpha was waiting in the distance. When Bjarke opened his arms for me, I fell against him, hiccupping and sobbing into his chest.

Stroking steady fingers through my hair, he rumbled gently, swaying side to side.

"What are you doing out here, my female? Has someone upset you?" he asked, pulling back to cup my face in his hands. His thumb swept away my tears, his warm brown gaze raking over me to make sure I wasn't hurt.

I shook my head, too scared to say the words out loud. That would make it real. With a sigh he looked over his shoulder at the Alpha who slowly made his way closer. His posture was relaxed, meant to keep me at ease and I gasped when he pressed his cold nose into my side. I let my hand fall to his head, gently sinking my fingers into his fur.