Chapter 6 ~ Tamed

Chapter 6: Tamed
~

Hidden in the mountains and surrounded by thick forest, rested where the pack came for winter. A waterfall rumbled from the tall heights off a cliff into the river below. I was glad I was carried across when fear spiked and I had to hide my face against Bjarke's chest. The soft brush of fingers across my leg was comforting and the Alpha Female rumbled until we stood on solid ground once more.

I slid down the Beta's body as he carefully set me on my feet. My knee still felt stiff but didn't buckle when I put a little weight on it. Wildflowers and silver trees filled the site with sweet floral scents and a musky smell told me deer had passed through not long ago. This place was built like a fortress but the presence of herd animals meant there had to be another way out.

A few wooden huts still stood from the last time the pack were here, or perhaps they were permanent. One stood out amongst the structures I was sure were homes. It was bigger, the back pushed up against the side of the biggest mountain. Something was carved into its walls, wolf heads guarding the large double doors. Something called me to it and I forgot all about studying the place that was to be my new prison.

Neither the Beta nor the Alpha Female stopped me when I started to hobble my way towards it. I got the strangest sense that I'd seen something like it before. The pack were too busy unpacking and setting up to give me a second look as I pressed my hand against the cold wood of the hall.

The ghost of a hand pressed against my back, urging me to look inside but I hesitated. There was a thick plank of wood across the doors, one that was too heavy for me to even think about lifting. I stroked across the craving of a rune, frowning.

"We gather here to eat, make clothes, and do other chores. It gets too cold to eat outside when winter comes," the Alpha Female spoke from behind me.

My hand fell and I stumbled back, shaking my head of the whispering voices the wind brought on the breeze. When I turned, both wolves were watching me. The Beta's eyes were on my leg as if waiting for any sign I might fall. The Alpha Female was, as always, scanning my face.

"Why do you not go south to warmer places in winter and stay here in summer instead?" I asked.

It seemed the obvious thing to do. It was the way I was used to. Move with the seasons to escape the cold. No Wulver wanted to struggle for meals more than usual, surely. Or why travel at all because I was sure in the summer these lands offered much to eat.

"Winter brings with it more than snow. When our kind was fleeing war many many centuries ago, this place kept us safe. It still keeps us safe," she replied, eyes drifting up to the mountain before she looked back at me. "It's beautiful here when the snow falls. I think you'll like it."

I scrunched my nose. Snow didn't seem like something I'd like. It was cold and wet, and made hunting difficult. What was there to enjoy in that?

"I don't like snow," I stated harshly, annoyed this female thought to act like she knew me.

She flinched, lips parting and I hated that I felt a little guilty. But her reaction spoke of more than it being simply my tone.

"You don't?" Her voice was soft, shoulders slouching ever so slightly.

I shook my head and wrapped my arms around myself, wishing I was back to being the outcast nobody wanted to speak to. Everything I said just seemed to upset someone. I'd already caused strain on her relationship with her mate's and others were beginning to pick sides too, I wasn't blind. Bjarke was sided with his Alpha. Katrin and Aljana had chosen Signy. The reason was a mystery I hadn't figured out yet but I was sure in time, I would.