Chapter 22 ~ Sibling Rivalry

Chapter 22: Sibling Rivalry
~

Orin scooted across the bench, leaving little space between us. The necklace glinted in his hand, leather cord wound around his fingers as if he was scared he might drop it.

We both waited for the other to speak first but I had no idea what to say, and I doubted he did either. How did you start a conversation with the sibling that had been lost to you? I could barely remember him, but he remembered me. Although the pup he knew wasn't the female beside him now. The Freydis everyone here had known had died. I wasn't her. Not really.

Maybe they should keep the statue up.

Clearing his throat, Orin turned to me and held out the necklace. I frowned at it, not understanding whatever it was it was supposed to mean. Why would Fenna's necklace be important?

"I'm not very good at. . .talking," he began, giving me a wry smile.

I returned it with one of my own as I studied his face properly for the first time. The more I saw, the more I could see the brother in my dreams. His face was a little more scarred, and there was something in his mismatched eyes now that wasn't there before. These were the eyes of someone who'd struggled.

What really caught me was the shade of green his left eye was. It was the same as Signy's. The same as mine. And the other was the same striking shade of blue as Jakkon's. I was a little jealous he carried something of both our parents. Maybe if I'd had something as unique as that, I could have been found.

Realising he was studying me with equal intensity, I looked down at the table.

"I'm not very good at talking either," I admitted. "Talking makes me think more, and Bjarke says I think too much already."

Orin chuckled. "What a pair we make then. You and Bjarke. . ."

"Please don't try and play the protective brother role. He's been good to me. He showed me a new life, defended me against the pack and gave me a place here. Even after he found out about the pup, all he wanted to do was keep me safe. He's my mate, I made that choice. One of the first decisions I ever made for myself, don't belittle that," I begged, the words tumbling out before I could even think them through.

He looked a little taken aback by my outburst but then smirked and some of the tension melted away. "Not good at talking, huh?" 

Tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, I shrugged with a nervous laugh. Perhaps I could voice my thoughts and feelings now more easily than before. Here, I felt safe, there wasn't a need to hide everything away even from myself. 

For a moment, as he lifted his hand, I thought he was going to reach out for me, but he thought better of it and instead heaved a sigh. "I respect your decision, Freydis. Bjarke is a good male, a close friend of mine, and our father. Despite how my father and I feel, we know you couldn't have anyone better at his side. You were born of Alphas, you were always meant to take a high rank in the pack."

"Thank you," I murmured. At least I knew they'd accepted Bjarke as my mate. We didn't need more fights like the one that had broken out last night.

This time he did reach out, taking my hand in his and placing the necklace he'd been fiddling with in my palm. I stared down at it, studying the swirling silver pattern. It was beautiful, unique.

"This was all I found of you the day you went missing. Mother made it for you and you never took it off. Then I never took it off; until I promised Fenna that I'd stop hunting. Then I gave it to her as a promise, and so she'd have a little something of you to carry with her. But it's still yours, do you remember it?" he asked.