Chapter 24 ~ A New Life

Chapter 24: A New Life
~

My fingers were stained black from charcoal, as they often were now, but I loved it. Sol had me drawing every rune and symbol until he was happy with it and Katrin watched over my shoulder.

We were both waiting for Aljana so we could help her with fishing. It was one of the few tasks I did well at so I was happy to help, especially as the pack were always grateful. I was slowly finding my way here, each day becoming easier amongst so many wolves.

Another presence appeared behind me and my back stiffened. He leaned over and picked up the drawing I'd done for myself. It felt like weeks ago now, and my fingers brushed over where it was tattooed on my arm.

"This is good," my brother complimented, taking a seat in front of Sol.

I nodded my thanks, watching him warily. He'd avoided me over the last few days, as I had him, despite our mother's attempts at getting us to speak and make up.

"Maybe you could do my tattoo," he suggested. Handing me the paper back, he offered me a small, half smile.

"She's not ready yet," Sol answered for me. "When I deem her ready, then she can."

"The first wolf I tattoo will be Bjarke," I added, feeling a little guilty for the harsh edge to my tone.

Katrin shifted uncomfortably, sensing the growing tension. I sighed, fiddling with the charcoal in my fingers. Why were we fighting really? Decades apart and the first thing we did was fall out. "After Bjarke, if you still want to, I'll then tattoo you."

"Good." He nodded and patted the back of my hand before pulling his tunic off.

So he was who Sol had been preparing for today.

My gaze moved over every piece of art on his skin. It wasn't as full as Bjarke's; there were many unfinished outlines and bits yet to be filled in, and I itched to do it. I read every symbol and picture like an unfolding story, one which I understood.

"Are you going to be still this time?" Sol asked, levelling my brother with a look.

My lips twitched but I fought not to laugh even as Katrin snickered from my other side. Orin grumbled, setting his elbow on the table so Sol could easily reach his bicep. He didn't flinch like I'd seen other wolves do when the needle first pierced his skin.

I refocused on my work, half listening to the conversation Katrin and Orin shared. They talked a little about his visit to Fenna's pack and that caught my interest. It didn't sound anything like it was here. Was every pack so different from each other?

He spoke of televisions and mobile phones, cars and aeroplanes. It intrigued me. All these things were a part of life for humans, and the wolves that lived in their shadow.

"They stay in one place?" I asked, unable to help my growing curiosity.

Orin tipped his head, seeming to struggle to find an explanation I'd understand. "There are four or five packs in Scotland, the country Fenna is from. Her pack takes up the western edge, in their territory are human cities and towns. The highranked of the pack stay in the same place, it is where the pack gathers if they Alpha summons them. Others in the pack are free to live where they choose. Some reside in nearby villages and towns, close to their Alpha. Others move away all through their land. Their children attend schools and universities, and even work alongside humans later.

"Fenna has human friends, she had to deal with their tirade of questions about why she's decided to live in a place where there's no electricity to live with a male she has only just met. Human relationships move far slower than they often do with wolves."