Chapter 7 ~ Outcast

Chapter 7: Outcast
~

I sat unhappily next to the hulking Beta, forced to eat from his hand. He was proving a point to the pack that had postured and growled at my presence at breakfast. We didn't keep our distance now, though the Beta wasn't sitting where he should be, he didn't seem to mind. He should have been amongst the first to choose food as well, but he didn't. He waited until every other wolf in the pack had taken their share though I was sure they left some of the best bits for him. They didn't want to punish him for being stuck with me.

All these weeks with these wolves and the stares hadn't lessened any. I glared back at anyone that looked long enough to make me feel uncomfortable, or like prey. Bjarke didn't seem to care about the unhappy noises that constantly rumbled from my chest until I aimed them at the Alpha; that was when he quickly cuffed my ear. I glared at him in accusation, rubbing the sore spot with a mind to remind him he'd promised to look after me but the look in his eyes made me rethink.

He leaned in close as he fed me small portions of food in little bites as instructed by Madden but I was so full. My stomach ached and my belly was beginning to bloat so I shook my head. A meal like this would normally have lasted me days. It was a feast of food every meal here.

"Finish what I got for you, there's not much left," he urged, picking up something to eat himself.

I shook my head again, more focussed on flashing fang at the Alpha who hadn't turned away. It was a sharp pinch to my ear the Beta gave me this time, and my growl turned to a yelp.

"You need to be careful. I'm being patient with you, Alpha Jakkon won't be. Do you want chained back up to the post until you learn to submit to him?" he asked, turning my face back to him.

I kept my gaze on his lips, not brave enough to meet his eyes. "No."

"Then behave." He released my chin and ate what was left on the plate for himself.

He was beginning to lose his patience today and we'd only been awake for an hour or so. I sat still while he went to put the plate away, looking for any sign of the Alpha Female. While she unnerved me, I felt a little better when she was around but she wasn't here. I'd never seen the pack eat without her by her mate's side.

My gaze went back to the Beta, the male I'd woken up a little too close to. He was talking to the Alpha now along with a few others but I wasn't interested in what they had to say. It was the ancient male drawing patterns in the mud like he had been the night he'd terrified me that caught my attention. The Beta had told me he'd been the one to put the marks on his skin. He was another one that always seemed to be watching me.

Eyes that were weary with age and knowledge caught me looking and I was even more surprised when he bowed his head. I didn't trust him at all. I didn't trust any wielder of magic and this male stank of it.

Fearing another cuff to the ear, I tore my gaze away from him.

Bjarke returned looking tense and grumpier than he was when he had to drag me out of bed.

"I have to go hunting," he grumbled, running a hand through his hair. "I need to leave you here with someone. Will you behave while I'm gone?"

I huffed at his question. Why did he always have to treat me like a pup? Folding my arms, I nodded but I wasn't sure our definitions of behaving were the same.

"I'll look after her while you're gone, Beta."

I jumped at the voice, head whipping round to see the old male leaning on his staff. He'd moved quickly, I hadn't even heard his approach. Perhaps I'd underestimated this male a little. My nose scrunched at the scent of magic on his skin but he gave me a smile that deepened the lines on his face.