Chapter 23 ~ Faith

Sexual Content Warning

I think after this chapter I will cut down on how often I update but I shall wait and see.

Chapter 23: Faith
~

The hall was completely full tonight, it seemed only the wolves circling the border were missing. You'd have never known the wind was howling from the north with how warm it was inside.

Pups encircled the stool Jakkon sat on, looking up at him with big, entranced eyes. The sun had long since gone down and the little wolves were getting one last story before parents dragged them to bed.

My father told the tale with such enthusiasm, reminding me there was more to being Alpha than being the stern, dominating leader. The pups loved their Alpha, and he loved them. I smiled a little as I listened too, paying no mind to the more mature conversation my mate was having with those we sat with.

I too was entranced by my father. Each character had their own voice, his body changing too. When he voiced Thor, he puffed himself up, his voice strong and booming. Loki's voice was smooth and sly, eyes changing with a mischievous, cunning glint. 

My mother watched on in amusement, chuckling every once and a while when the pups gasped or giggled.

"You used to love his stories too," she said to me.

"I'm sure my pup will love them too," I answered, rubbing my bump. This pup was lucky to have such a big family to grow up in.

My father suddenly jumped to his feet, a loud bang echoing out and even I jumped in fright. One pup looked close to tears but changed his mind when the rest of his friends laughed and cheered. I was sad to have missed the end. The tales of Gods and Monsters intrigued me and the magic that would flare to life as they were told no longer scared me. It was comforting now I was pack, almost as if the power was accepting me.

Some things were easy to accept, others were so much harder.

Things between my father and I were strained; as strained as between Orin and I. I think my brother thought he'd find me to be the same as he remembered. We were getting to know one another again, while Signy with her gift of sight, if I believed such a thing, accepted me with no reservations. Or maybe it was I who was holding back. Bjarke had earned my trust inch by painful and patient inch. Males made me uncomfortable, even if they were family.

"You look tired," my mother noted, wiping something off my cheek with her thumb.

I was tired. Exhausted even. Today I'd taken another walk with Katrin, staying close to the village, then stolen an apple from my mate before spending the afternoon being taught at the loom. I ached, but in a good way. A way that told me I was slowly getting better, building a little muscle.

"I might head to bed too." I glanced at my mate who was grinning and laughing at the vulgar story Hagan was telling. Hagan and I had gotten off on the wrong foot but we'd started afresh.

Touching my Beta's arm, I whispered by his ear, "I'm going to bed. Stay and enjoy yourself."

"Are you sure?" he asked, twisting on the bench to face me.

"Yes. It's far too early for a grown male like yourself to go to bed," I teased before kissing his cheek.

Nodding, he helped me wrap up in my furs and my heart warmed when wolves bid me a cheerful goodnight, Dirk adding for me to be careful on the ice. Bjarke looking alarmed set off more rude jokes about him being clingy, or that maybe he should go to bed alongside the pups. I shook my head with pursed lips. They were always making fun of each other but never seemed to take it to heart.