Part 1 of 2

By the way, all of these probably will be out of order as off chronologically, so try and figure them out yourself—

OC Name: Lunya (Main OC)
Fandom: Minecraft
Species: Human-phoenix-tiger tribrid, and part Watcher
Location: An Ancient City

"I hate you."

Zarxulbli grinned. "Oh really?"

I did not respond, as he was the most insufferable being in the universe and did not deserve my attention. (Even if we were together—and you did not hear that from me.)

Zar had just triggered one of the shriekers, which let out a wail that hurt my ears. It was the second time. As they say: Three strikes, you're out.

"Shush, will you?" I hissed. "If you set it off again, we're dead! Must I remind you that it's been made permanent here?"

"Uh, yes."

I nearly facepalmed, but resisted as I feared that it would set off the shrieker again, and summon the Warden.

"Come on," I whispered, placing down wool blocks in front, beckoning for Zar to follow. "Remember the goal: Get in, get the Star, and get out."

"Alright, then let's just make a run for it—" He pretended to step a foot off the wool and run towards the center of the Ancient City.

"Zar—! Oh my gods, and you wonder why I hate you. Seriously. How are you still alive?"

"'Cause I'm just better," Zar joked.

I sighed. Only he could annoy me to death and not actually be annoyed.

We crept silently through the City. I imagined that the underground ruins were beautiful, the architecture one of a kind, before they got destroyed.

Everything was going along fine...until it wasn't.

I didn't know what happened, but suddenly, a shrieker was set off, the wail sending both of us stumbling back, off the wool blocks and on the polished deepslate path

"What the—?" I yelped, nearly tripping and falling onto the deepslate, but Zar caught me, and pulled me behind him.

"As you worded it: 'We're dead!'" Zar replied, pulling out his enchanted swords.

I created an ice spear, though I knew it was useless in this situation. "Zar, fighting is no use! The Warden's too strong!"

The ground shook, and cracked. I yelped, as it branched out between Zar and I, and I jumped to his side as it split open. The Warden then climbed out, and I felt fear grip me with talons like an eagle would grip a mouse in its claws. In other words, painfully.

Zar pulled me back, trying to creep farther away from the Warden. I was glad he did that, since at that moment, I wasn't capable of doing anything sensitive on my own. I was trembling, and my breath came in quick gasps.

I had never seen a Warden with my own eyes before, and it was a scary sight. It wouldn't have been if it were blocky, but that's the thing: It wasn't.

Blue souls swirled in its chest, and its ribs acted like a cage for them. Occasionally, screaming, terrified, and pained faces could be seen, only to be sucked into the whirl of souls once more. Its light blue antennae waved around in the air, not unlike branches waving in the wind. It had three toes on each foot, like talons. Its hands were also talon-like, with gleaming, sharp black-blue claws, each thick as a jar of beans and long as my forearm. It had no eyes. Instead, it had a giant mouth with sharp, glittering blue teeth, and slits for nostrils, like a reptile. It had black and blue scales, and the top of its head was covered with moss-like sculk.

    Zar tensed, holding up his Netherite swords. I held up my spear, neither of us daring to make a sound or move.

    The Warden held its head up, and took a sniff. I realized just then that Wardens didn't just listen—they also could smell you.

    I grabbed Zar's arm as it sniffed again, its head turning in our direction.

    Zar didn't seem to get it, he just looked back at me in confusion.

    I didn't want to make a sound, since that would make it more clear that we were there. I tugged on my friend's—totally just friends—arm frantically, trying to signal that the Warden could sniff us out—literally.

    I saw the Warden suddenly lean back, its mouth opening, and I'd heard enough from Temple to know what that movement meant, and what you should do if you notice a Warden doing that while facing your direction:

    Run.

    With no other option, I shouted "RUN!" while tugging Zar along.

    Finally, the ding dong got what I was suggesting, and ran alongside me.

    The Warden roared behind us, an ear-splitting, terrifying roar that sent goosebumps along my arm.

    We had barely gotten three blocks away, when we were suddenly blasted by some kind of force, sending us tumbling off the deepslate path onto the mossy sculk, disoriented.

    Not just that, my ears were ringing, and my vision wavered, blackness threatening to envelop my sight completely. To make matters worse, my arms and legs felt as if they had just done a few hundred push-ups, and my legs as if they'd just ran a marathon without stopping.

    I felt totally helpless. Useless. I couldn't hear, I couldn't move, and my brain wasn't working. Plus, the Warden was coming after us. I could see it, lumbering towards us, taking its sweet time, as if it knew we were now helpless.

    If I weren't panicking before, I was now, when I saw Zar, picking himself off the floor, holding only one of his swords with both hands, placing himself in front of me, shaking.

    My heart nearly stopped. Fear, panic, desperation, respect, frustration, anger, and utter uselessness and helplessness gripped at my chest. I wanted to shout. I wanted to just make a sound, no matter what it was, to warn Zar. But I couldn't. I couldn't speak. My vocal cords weren't working.

I couldn't do anything but watch, in slow motion, as the Warden roared—though I couldn't hear it—that terrifying roar, and charged at Zar.

I couldn't do anything but watch, as Zar held his sword up weakly, in a vain attempt to keep me safe.

I couldn't do anything but watch, as the Warden swung its long arms, its claws gleaming like knives, hitting Zar aside, and I saw, just before he went out of my line of sight, those claws digging deep into his side, and most definitely killing him in the process.

I couldn't do anything but watch, when my partner, Zarxulbli, was killed by a merciless Warden, and never to respawn again.

—————

...Or did he...?
-Lunya