6

Name: Niami
Fandom: Genshin Impact
Species: Human
Location: A Domain somewhere

Warning: Spoilers for like...literally the first five minutes of the game.

Her first warning came from the wind.

There was a sudden change in the airflow. The winds whispered in her ear:

Danger, sadness, storms.

Niami immediately grew attentive. She listened, whispering to the air currents. A strong rush of wind rustled the leaves and branches, blowing her hair aside. She moved to one side of the path, against a protruding stone hill, and held a hand up, feeling the wind brush against her fingers.

Something was behind her hill. Something big.

"Calm before the storm..." Niami whispered.

Then, she heard footsteps.

Loud, hurried, very not-stealthy footsteps. Wind circled them. Niami determined where they were, then, quickly and quietly, reached out her hand, snatched their wrist, and pulled them behind the hill with her.

She turned to them and held a finger against her lips.

"Shhh."

The stranger didn't sound like anyone she knew, from their footsteps and breaths, and for a second, she wondered if they would attack her. When they didn't, she felt relived, and determined that they weren't a hilichurl at least. Human. Probably. If they were a hilichurl, she would never live down her embarrassment.

Something small, and floating, and not human was beside them, less noticeable. However, the winds whispered again, and slowly, she peeked from the side of the hill, even though she could not see the...thing.

The stranger did the same.

Niami breathed in the air. The wind was odd. Powerful. Like a powerful Anemo user was there.

A small humanoid figure and a large being was in the clearing.

Niami inhaled again. Was it her imagination, or did the wind smell...tainted?

A gentle voice carried in the wind. "...Don't be afraid. ...It's alright now, I'm back."

A high-pitched voice from the small floating thingy whispered, "Is he talking...to a dragon?!"

Sudden realization hit her. She should've figured it out sooner—

Then, the stranger flinched, and a small Anemo energy burst into a soft wind current. In a panic, Niami grabbed the stranger's wrist again, but the damage had been done.

The fairy gasped. The dragon—Stormterror—recoiled, then roared at the other figure. He lashed out, and they jumped away, turning towards Niami and her new not-really acquaintances who exposed them, but she couldn't judge them yet.

"Who's there?!"

Stormterror flapped his wings once, sending strong wind currents at them. The air whirled around under his power, agitated. Niami took a step forward, her arm in protecting her face, and for once, her Anemo powers were useless.

Stormterror roared at them one more time, then leapt off the boulder, and took off.

The winds came to a standstill.

Niami straightened, and held her hand out, sighing in relief as she felt the wind respond.

How did the encounter make her feel?

A bit panicked, if she was being honest.

Quickly, she composed a brief Anemo letter, and sent it forward, towards Mondstadt.

Someone cleared their throat.

Niami looked over at the stranger and their floating companion.

She gave them a friendly smile, and subconsciously dusted herself off. "Hello, who might you be?"

The air still felt tainted.

Niami was wary of the stranger, but, Knight or no, she was taught from the moment she was born to have good manners.

"Lumine..."

Niami tilted her head. She remembered the wind's comment about the calm before the storm, and she knew she had to hurry back to Mondstat. But she also had a feeling—maybe it was something on the wind—that this new person, Lumine, had something to do with it.

She might as well get to know her first.

"Lumine, huh? Well, nice to meet you, and I apologize for being so...rude, earlier. I don't think I set a very good first impression. Who's your fairy friend?"

The 'fairy friend' answered the question herself.

"Paimon! But what's your name? And Paimon doesn't mean to be rude, but Paimon wants to know why your eyes are like that? All pale and glazed over?"

Niami gave a good-hearted chuckle. She stepped a bit closer, not enough to make them uncomfortable, but to emphasize her next words.

"Well, Paimon, my name is Niami, and I was born blind."

---

Short little thingy, but I've actually had this for a while—
There's another coming reeaaallly quick.
-Lunya