Chapter 28

Atlas knew she said that as a reminder and she would go after his sister if he went after Killian.
"Tit for Tat, uh?"

Makenna smiled and lifted her drink to her mouth,
"Glad we're finally on the same page." She sipped on her drink,

Atlas watched her enjoy another victorious moment for her,
"I'll stay out of it," He picked up his bag and stood from the table, "But if Thea decides she wants to break up with Killian all on her own, that's neither of our fault nor business."

Atlas walked out of Metro coffee leaving Makenna's wheels turning.

She'd seen the way Thea was with her brother, there was no way she'd suddenly want to end things with her brother but she couldn't put anything past Atlas. He was determined to end things for Thea and Killian and she couldn't understand why. All she knew was if Thea changed her mind about being with Killian, it would be because of her brother.

Makenna took a deep breath in and closed her eyes as she clenched her jaw hating what Atlas was about to make her do. But if he was going to be the devil on Thea's shoulder, she had to be the angel on her other shoulder.

She picked up her drink and took a big sip drawing her attention back to the liquid which she remembered she still hadn't paid for.

Makenna grabbed her bag and walked to the counter to handle situation number one while she tried to figure out how to go about situation number two.

The following day, Killian joined his parents at church as always and as always Makenna was nowhere to be found. After the final blessing and mass ended, most people made their way out of the church while some waited behind to pray, others went to talk to the reverend father.

Joe and Brianna Adams were part of those who stopped to say hello to the reverend father along with their son, Killian. They made their way to their vehicle and Killian got into the back seat which was part of the Sunday routine. He'd meet them at church, head home with them for lunch and head back to college after.

As for Makenna, in the three years she'd been in college, no one knew where she went on Sundays. At first, it had been a problem because everyone had tried to reach her but it wasn't until the following day that they heard back from her. After a while, everyone just got used to her being unreachable on Sundays and no questions were asked.

Even then, if said questions were asked, there was a hundred percent guarantee that she wouldn't give them an answer.

"So, how's your girlfriend?"

"Mum." Killian dragged,

Brianna Adams laughed as her husband, Joe, pulled out of the parking spot.

Makenna drove through the familiar woods and came to a stop at her usual spot before she killed the engine and got out of the black 1965 Ford mustang. The car had been her parent's old car before they got the family vehicle and left the mustang in the garage for when either her or Killian were old enough to drive. Makenna rarely used the car except on Sundays which is why Killian was the one who had the car because of his part-time job and his constant home visits.

She'd had the car for her first two years in college and the first few months of her third year when Killian was in his first year and he got the job at Brookdale, only then had she given him the car. He needed it more than she did but he knew she had the car on Sundays and Makenna usually came for the car before he left for the church. They both had keys because it was convenient that way.

Makenna walked the rest of the way into the woods, the topography and the trees made it unable for her car to drive through. Just as she reached the point between the woods with the rocky road and the beach, she stopped to take her shoes off, leaning on a tree with the hand that held a book while she used her other hand to push off her shoes. She steadied herself, hands by her side before she took the first step sinking her feet into the sand.

She made her way towards the edge of the beach staring out at the water. She came to a stop at the shoreline where the water rushed to her feet sinking her feet deeper into the sand before rushing back. She closed her eyes and felt the breeze on her face, inhaled the smell of the ocean and heard the seagulls.

That was her peace.

She opened her eyes and inhaled as many times as she needed to let go of all the week's weight she'd carried. She turned and walked down the shoreline, heading down to a spot she'd come to know as her place of solace.

Makenna bent to sit and leaned back into one of the medium-sized rocks. The breeze blew at her unbound hair and at her clear face that was without a stitch of makeup.

Sunday was the one day of the week she got away from everything and stripped away everything that tied her to everything and everyone, that included her past and her present. She forgot who she was and is, or at least she tried her very best to forget and just live in the moment and sometimes imagine a future that she knew she couldn't possibly have.

She always wore a hoodie because more times than she'd cared to count if not all the time, she'd fallen asleep on that very rock listening to nothing and no one but the sound of peace. There and then she was someone without a past looking forward to a future she knew deep inside she could and would never have.

A future where she could just let go and be herself; Makenna.

A future without the pain of the past.