Chapter 44

Atlas' eyes were closed as he groaned in pain. He opened his eyes to find Makenna's fiery gaze staring daggers at him.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" She said through clenched teeth,

Her hands were stuck between their bodies and Atlas' hands were around her. Atlas' gaze widened just a little bit it was almost unnoticeable,
"I...I'm sorry. I grabbed the first thing and you happened to be in the way."

Makenna stared at him like he was crazy,
"Now get your hands off of me."

Atlas hadn't even realized he was holding onto her until she drew his attention to it. Atlas quickly pulled his hands off her as she struggled to get up.

"Don't ever put your hands on me again."

"Believe me," Atlas said as he got up, "You're the last person I'd want to touch."

"I'm sorry, that was my fault." The girl who'd pushed her chair out apologized but they were too busy glaring at each other to notice her. Makenna glared at him for many reasons.

One; not only had her plan not worked, but it had also backfired. Two; he'd put his hands on her. Three; he'd just made a comment about not wanting to touch her.

Why was she mad about the third? She had no clue.

The idiot!

"Mac, you alright?" Someone, probably Hee, called from their table,

"I'm good." Makenna called back, "Just some lowlife ruining my day."

A few gasps from the café were heard, and Makenna was sure none was from her friends. She'd only said that to get back at Atlas but instead of him brooding, he smiled at her.

He actually smiled at her like he knew she was trying to get at him and he didn't want her to have the satisfaction. He took a step closer to her, getting into her space.

Makenna felt her lungs starting to demand more oxygen. She hated anyone getting into her space, it irked her. But Atlas getting into her space felt like it was sending her into a panic attack and she didn't like it.

"Make sure you don't ruin the rest of your day."

He said that and was gone.

Makenna frowned and almost harrumphed as she realized what he'd said. But instead, she took a steady breath and closed her eyes for a second to get rid of any thoughts of him or the emotions he incited within her.

Darn, she hated him!

"Are you ok?"

Makenna looked up to find Alfie leaning over the counter to see if she was alright,
"Yea, I'm fine."

Makenna smiled even though she was ready to thump someone at that moment. Her gaze shifted and she found herself looking at Atlas who was looking at her.

Atlas felt bad, in a way, he hadn't meant to drag her along and he felt bad about that which was why he apologized but she wasn't going to make him feel bad for putting his hands on her to keep her from landing first. She would've hated him even more if that had happened but the daggers she was throwing at him right now said she already hated him enough.

Atlas paid for his drink and went to the table where Will waited for him. He took his seat and slid Will his drink only to find him staring at him, confused.

"What did I just witness?"

"An accident, I'll say."

"That looked like something scripted."

Scripted by God.
Atlas thought but then wondered why that had crossed his mind.

Ah! Thea was rubbing off on him. Technically, Killian was rubbing off on Thea so, indirectly Killian was rubbing off on him.

"It was just an accident."

"You call that an accident?" Will asked, "The other day you guys walked by each other, there was so much tension in the air, I was suffocating."

Atlas said nothing and just sipped on his drink.

"What is going on there?"

"She hates me and I pretty much don't like her."

"They say there's a thin line between love and hate."

"Not here." Atlas said, "There's just pure dislike. I can't say for her though, she looks like she hates me."

Will glanced behind him and then back at him,
"Oh, she certainly does."

Atlas didn't want to but he really couldn't help himself. He turned his head and scanned the room for her starting from where he'd last seen her. She was currently paying for her drink and she seemed to have calmed down just a bit but he really couldn't tell from where he sat. She was good at hiding things so maybe she was hiding that as well.

Atlas turned back before she caught him looking at her again only to find Will staring at him with a smile. Will pumped his eyebrows in an 'I see you' kind of way which Atlas ignored.

Makenna made her way to the table with the drinks, grabbed hers and fell into her seat with all their eyes on her.

"Who was that?" Collin asked,

"He looks kind of familiar." Lexi said spaced out as if she was trying to remember where she'd seen him,

"Did you do that?" Hee asked, "You look like you could've done that."

Yea, she could have. She did. But it backfired.

"I didn't do anything. He just grabbed me and we fell."

"In love." Lexi said in a sing-song manner like a Disney princess,

Makenna glared at him which made her stop.

"Looked like it was an accident." Kent said,

Hee smacked his chest.

"Ow!" Kent complained,

"Whose side are you on?"

"The truth."

Hee rolled her eyes and focused back on Makenna,
"Was it?"

Makenna shrugged.

"I think it was the girl's fault. She apologized when you two were staring hatefully at each other." Collin said,

"Thanks for the recap." Makenna sipped on her drink and they all slowly grabbed their and resumed their conversation,

Brandon who sat next to her leaned in,
"Are you ok?"

"I'm going to physically combust if someone asks me that one more time."

"Sorry." He pulled back and Makenna was supposed to feel bad but she didn't.

" He pulled back and Makenna was supposed to feel bad but she didn't

Hey,

Yesterday was Good Friday and tomorrow is Easter. I wish you all an amazing day as you experience the power of His resurrection in various areas of your life.

Happy Easter.