Chapter 73

Night approached quickly and the air thickened with the promise of a great time. The party they all ended up going to was packed. No doubt, it would have been worse if there weren't other parties happening that night.

Makenna was familiar with the mansion where the party was being thrown. The owner's son hosted a few parties in a year and it became one of the most talked about parties. Lots of booze and pizza. Who didn't want to have a good time and pizza?

"Hey, babe!"

Makenna and Hee looked in the direction the call came from to find Kent and Collin in a group of their own,

"I'm going to get us drinks." Hee didn't bat an eye at Kent before she disappeared,

Makenna scanned the huge room with the ceiling so high, the almost cramped space didn't feel so cramped. She made her way through the crowd and loud music to the back of the mansion. As she stepped out, she wasn't surprised to find people at the far end of the property. The all-green backyard had a pool, hot tub, and a pergola covering a large portion of the area.

"Mac."

Makenna turned when she heard the familiar voice and smiled as Thea approached her.
"Hey."

"Hey." Thea sounded excited to see her as she stopped beside her, "Wow. Do you think they're all from the University?"

"No. There are people from other universities and no university."

"Of course, there are." Thea said, "So, how did your assessment go?"

Makenna looked at her like she had grown horn,
"Let that be the last time you ask that here."

Thea's expression looked fallen and Makenna hated herself.

"But it went well." Thea's smile was a welcome relief, "How was yours?"

"Oh, it was alright."

"Here you ar..." Makenna and Thea turned their heads to find Hee with two cups, "I know you."

"I know you too." Thea said as Hee handed Makenna one of the cups,

"Sorry, I didn't know you were here. I'd have gotten you one."

"That's ok, I..."

"You know what; take mine." Hee handed her cup to Thea with a smile, "I'll get myself another one."

"But I don't..." Hee was gone before Thea could refuse, "Drink."

"I don't drink either." Makenna said, "Well, just for show."

"Really?" Thea looked surprised,

"Don't look so shocked," Makenna said, "I have to keep up with appearances."

"Why though?" Thea asked after a moment, "Why do you need to pretend?"

Makenna had a sad smile on her face,
"Because pretence has gotten me this far." She swallowed, "Fake it till you make it."

Thea frowned to herself. The more, or the little, she got from Makenna always seemed enough and yet too little to begin to understand her.

"So, what was it like?" Makenna asked with a knowing smile, "Living with your brother."

Thea laughed,
"He. Was. A nightmare." Thea had a glint in her eyes, "He scared everyone away which is why I never dated."

Makenna raised a brow,
"So, he's done this before."

"Oh, yea. Killian is not the first person to receive the whole 'you're not good enough for my sister' threat." Thea said, "But he is the first person I've dated which I'm actually grateful to my brother for."

Makenna shifted her gaze from Thea's face to something in the distance. It felt like she was starting to put him together and figure him out like he always tried to do with her.
"It wasn't about Killian." She said to herself,

Thea shook her head,
"It's about me." She frowned, "Or him."

Makenna looked at her,
"What do you mean?"

Thea looked caught,
"Hm," She opened her mouth and closed it, "He's just been through a lot. He never talks about it but I think..."

"Mac!"

Makenna clenched her jaw and turned to find Hee with Lexi waving her over,
"I..."

"I'll be fine on my own." Thea said quickly,

Makenna looked at her and Thea flashed her a smile that told her what she already figured. Thea was trying to get out of telling her what she'd been about to tell her.

"I'll only be a moment."

"No worries." Thea sighed when Makenna left. She couldn't believe she'd almost told Makenna about Atlas when she hadn't even told Killian about it herself.

Granted, she was too young to remember anything. But somehow, as unimportant as the past was, it had a way of affecting the person we become. She hadn't let it define her but it didn't mean she didn't carry it with her.

Thea sighed and took a sip of her drink. She instantly regretted it as she spat it back into the cup.

The party was so loud when Atlas and Will walked in. They couldn't get five feet without brushing or bumping into someone.

"The girls are on their way." Will said as he locked his phone and slid it into his pocket, "Let's get a drink."

Atlas followed Will into the huge kitchen with a large kitchen island. As Will got a drink from the keg, Atlas filled his cup with some water. He scanned the room as he lifted the cup to his mouth. His lips quirked at the corner when he saw her and took a sip, quenching his thirst. She was talking with two other girls and her expression, or lack thereof, was comical with the way the two other girls talked with hand gestures and facial expressions.

Atlas couldn't help thinking about that night. He'd caught her smile, however little. He'd done that. He'd been the one to put it there and that somehow made him feel taller. Thea had mentioned hanging out with her and he hadn't exactly voiced his objection because he would be a hypocrite. But he figured the look on his face had said it.

Atlas noticed Makenna's attention waver from the girls. She kept nodding at whatever they were telling her but kept glancing somewhere else. He saw her expression get even more sullen. Then she did a double take and immediately took off, leaving the girls confused. Atlas dropped his cup with a frown and went to investigate as he heard some commotion in the direction she had taken off to.

Makenna had watched the entire exchange from where she stood. She talked with Hee and Lexi having Thea in her line of sight. She had asked her to come to the party so they could hang out. She didn't feel right leaving her on her own, so she kept checking on her. Then she'd seen a guy walk up to her and watched it play out until she couldn't anymore.