one

+|+|+

+|+|+

"I fucking hate my job," Isabel groaned, gripping her coffee and then taking a gulp of the scolding hot liquid. Mary looked at her sympathetically and didn't say anything. "What gives Matthew the right to treat me like his bitch," Isabel continued to complain.

"Isa, why don't you just quit already? You hate it at that diner," Mary asked, she'd suggested quitting too her friend numerous times but Isabel never did.

"I can't quit Mary. I can't quit a pay check, I won't be able to afford my share of the rent anymore and the diner pays well, I guess," Isabel said, she gave that explanation numerous times as well.

"We could find you a place at Biba? Laurel is always looking for new girls to help with stuff, theres only three girls, including me, and we all have stable pay checks considering how much we're making from the shop at the moment," Mary said, Isabel looks up with hopeful eyes.

"Really? You can do that?"

"I'll have to have a word with Laurel, but yeah we can try and make something happen,"

"Oh Mary, that'd be brilliant," Isabel exclaimed.

Mary smiled brightly at her friend and took a sip of her own coffee, "Now listen, pub tonight? Brian's band called Smile is playing there again and he's invited me to come watch. 8pm?" she asked her friend.

Isabel hesitated for a sec, she hadn't been out and about for a while or gotten drunk in a while and she wasn't working tomorrow, "Isn't Brian your ex?" she asked.

"Yeah, yeah he is but we're still good friends you know that Isabel, please!" Mary persuaded.

"Alright, alright," Isabel agreed and Mary squealed with delight, Isabel grinned, "You know, it's funny you guys dated for 2 months and I never met him,"

"Yeah, well you never tagged along when I went to the gigs," Mary said and Isabel nodded in defeat.

+|+|+

The two left their flat at 8pm like they planned. They strolled along the streets, arm in arm and chatting loudly. They'd had a couple glasses if wine before they left so were already tipsy. When they got to the pub, the hand were already playing. The two friends exchanged looks and went towards the bar. "Gin and Tonic and a Vodka Lemonade," Mary asked the bartender, she threw some money at the man and the two sipped their drinks and watched the band for a little.

The bassist was the lead singer, he was singing slowly and plucking at the strings at the same time. The guitarist ("That ones Brian," Mary explained), was tall and concentrated on the sound coming from his guitar. The drummer looked bored, he mouthed along to the lyrics and reluctantly hit the drums. Isabel caught a glimpse of his bright blue eyes and a tinge of blonde hair but he was mostly hidden by the drums.