chapter five

Morgan

January 5, 22

  Last night after I got home I had some time to think before going to sleep. I replied to Neymar's message, but I assumed he would be sleeping, so I wasn't expecting a response. I changed out of my patriotic outfit and into a very oversized Harley Davidson shirt that I occasionally wore to sleep. I laid on my king size bed and started thinking. 

  I was thinking about my mom, how proud she'd be to see Christian and I where we were at, being successful. She'd be proud of my dad for taking care of us. I think maybe most importantly, she'd get along well with Sierra.

  Ever since my mom got sick in 2009, she's never wanted to celebrate her birthday. Before that, she loved birthdays. In 2006, for our ninth birthday party, she and my dad rented out a four-acre park for us to run and play, since we weren't allowed to run in the house.

  I've always had troubles with celebrating my mom's birthday, mainly because I knew how important they were to her. This year, it was easy. I didn't get those nerves, and I didn't start feeling bad. My nightmares had done that to me enough.

  That night, I fell asleep happy. Spending time with my family was so important to me. I was happy that I had been invited to go to New York. I decided that I'd probably go, even if it meant being away from them.

  Everyone needs a new chapter in their life, right?

-- 

  The next morning, on January fifth, I woke up when it was almost nine. I hadn't had a nightmare. It took me a second to process that. I'd been having them consecutively for what felt like an eternity. 

  This morning, I wasn't interrupted by a call from Sierra. I picked my phone off the charger to see an Instagram DM back from Neymar. It said;

Eh, no way! I grew up in São Paulo. You plan on going to any FIFA games this June?

  I thought about it for a second. Yeah, sure, I was planning to go to my brother's if I had time, but who even knew if they were going to play Brazil at all. I started to think about it. It would be pretty cool if Neymar and I became good friends and I got to go to one of his matches.

  I typed out a long response and sent it to him.

  You grew up in São Paulo? That's so cool, I would ask what part but I don't know where my mother grew up. I hope to clear my schedule to go to my brother's matches, but I'm not sure yet. I just decided to move to New York for business stuff. What's up with you?

  To be honest, I hadn't decided for sure if I was going to New York. I thought it might be a good conversation starter. Maybe he's been to New York? I went once with my mom when I was really little. It was just us two. Christian and my dad weren't interested.

  Satisfied with my response, I got out of bed and did my usual morning routine. While I was in the shower, I had a missed call from Sierra. Christian's voice was blaring as my ringtone in the middle of my shower, but I didn't bother to pick up. When I got dressed into sweats and went to do my skincare, I called her back. She picked up almost immediately.

  "Hey, C, how's it hanging?" I sat down at my vanity, putting my phone down and clicking speaker. "I have a little bit of a stuffy nose, but that's besides the point. How are you?" She asked, sounding congested. I frowned. "Probably one of Christian's teammates gave you something. Sorry C. I'm good," I responded.

   Her response was enthusiastic. "Good," she started, then her voice got serious. I kept putting my skincare on. "I know I told you not to think about New York yesterday," she said hesitantly. "Mmmhm?" I asked, not paying her my full attention.

  "Well, I want you to think about it now. Because I'm anxious. I was thinking about it. We could get an apartment in the city together. It would be so much of a change but I'd love it so much!" She exclaimed, with emphasis on the so much.

  "But, of course," she added, "It's completely up to you," then under her breath, she said, "What a manager I am," she ended her rant. I just laughed. 

  "You're a good manager," I said in response. "I've been thinking about it," I said. "I think I probably will." 

  "Really? Oh this is awesome! Wait. Nike. They have you here. What are you going to do about that?" I froze. I hadn't thought about it.

  "Erm, you could contact them and tell them I'm moving to New York, if they want to do shoots with me there then that's awesome, but don't confirm with VS yet," I brought the phone back up to my ear and turned the speaker off, leaving my vanity. "I haven't even told my dad that I got offered to be an ambassador," I said a little bit more quietly.

  Sierra paused. "...Really? I thought you would have yesterday when you were with them," she sounded surprised. "Hey, you told me not to think about it yesterday," I said defensively. "Plus, we weren't talking about anything business related. I mean, you heard Christian's teammates talking about soccer, but that's it," I shrugged. It was true. I didn't want to bring up anything that could break out into an argument. 

  "Okay, so you're not sure?" Sierra sighed. "No, I'm pretty sure, I'm just not sure how my dad will take it," I bit my lip. I took my phone back up to my ear, and turned my vanity light off. Deja vu. I started down the stairs, but I got a text from my dad. "Speaking of the devil," I muttered, and Sierra laughed. I pulled the phone away from my hear to read his text. He wanted to make plans. It made me rethink my choice. I bit my lip again. 

  "Do you wanna start looking at apartments?" I said, hesitantly. "Yes, of course!" She said with excitement. I was open to sharing an apartment with her, I'd get to be roommates with my best friend. "Talk to you later, then?" I said, grabbing a mug out of my cabinet to make myself coffee. "Yes, bye Morg," she hung up the phone. 

  While I made my coffee, I was thinking about New York. I was excited for a new opportunity, but at the same time I was a little nervous. I hadn't made my choice yet, but once Sierra started looking at apartments, I knew there would be no turning back.

  When my coffee was finished, I responded to my dad. 

  Yeah, I'll be over around one

  I assumed that Christian had already been there, or was going to come, so I didn't bother asking if he'd be there. Growing up, it was always my mom and I who were close, then Christian and dad had their own thing. They were always into soccer, Christian had wanted to be a professional player since he was like nine. My dad helped him achieve that. 

  My mom liked to take me shopping, and she constantly bought me books. Not like textbooks, like fiction books to read for entertainment. That was something she liked doing. I did too, occasionally I would still sit down and read a novel that was trending or if I went to Barnes & Noble for a cup of coffee (their coffee was the best) and found a good book to read, I'd sit down and read one. 

  A ding snapped me out of my thoughts. Neymar had messaged me on Instagram. 

 Boring, boring, and boring for me, just got back from training. Sounds cool! I don't think I'm gonna be in the US for a while. What time is it in LA?

  Maybe I was going to get along with him well. I replied instantly. 

  Same here pretty much, it's past nine am. You?

  I clicked on his profile. I hadn't even realized that he followed me. I followed him back.

  I had a feeling my life was about to majorly change.

^^^ author's notes:

okay i know this is going slow, but trust me i have a plan. 

- 𝐤𝐚𝐲𝐥𝐚