chapter forty

Neymar

February 2, 22

  When we got back from training, Morgan went upstairs right away to get ready for our dinner. We were planning to meet at the restaurant a little after seven. Over the past week, I've learned that Morgan takes a long time to get ready, so I didn't question it when she started getting ready at half past four when we got home.

  I sat on the couch and scrolled on my phone, not wanting to get ready just yet. I hated wearing suits, so I'd stay in one for as little time as possible.

  At around five, I got a message from Rafaella. They were about to take off. They weren't going to be here until around two in the morning. We were planning on going to dinner, and then we'd come back here for a while and then I'd pick my family up at the airport. Morgan didn't want to come. For one, the car would be too crowded, and second, she wanted me to be able to talk to them before they met her. You know, with all that's been going on with my dad. 

  After I realized what time it was I decided to go upstairs and get ready. On my way to my bedroom, I knocked on Morgan's door. "Morgan?" I called in, to which she responded, "yeah?"

  "I'm getting in the shower now, Rafa texted me and said they're taking off now," I said, leaning against the doorframe. "Sounds good!" She replied through the door. 

  "Are you going to be ready in time?" I laughed, starting to walk away towards my bedroom a little bit. "Mmm, yeah," she hummed in response.

  With that, I went to my room and got in the shower.

  After I was done in the shower, I went to my closet to pick out the suit I was going to wear. I had quite a few, but I wanted something a little more casual. The restaurant we were going to was pretty fancy, but it was no awards ceremony.

  I decided on a casual navy suit with a white shirt to wear underneath. I didn't change yet, still holding it off until the last minute. I washed my face and brushed my teeth, and then I went to see what Morgan was doing.

  I walked over to her bedroom, and I saw that the door was open and she wasn't in there. I walked the opposite direction towards the stairs, and I could see her laying on the couch scrolling through her phone.

  She jerked her head in my direction when she heard my footsteps coming down the stairs. "You aren't changing yet?" I asked her, seeing that she had her makeup and hair done, but she was still in sweats.

  "I don't need to yet, it's only 6:00," she hummed, looking back down at her phone. "I suppose you aren't, either?" She asked, sitting up so I could join her on the couch. 

  "Yeah, I hate wearing suits," I chuckled, taking a seat beside her. I wrapped my arm around her. "I hate wearing dresses," she put her phone down and leaned her head on my shoulder carefully, making sure not to mess up her hair. 

  "I think you're really going to like Antonella," I said, breaking the silence. "You two seem like you have similar personalities," I added. She shrugged. "I hope she likes me," her voice sounding a little timid. "I know she'll like you," I smiled, leaning my head on the top of her's, being careful I didn't mess her hair up, either.

  By 6:30, I was dressed, and I assumed Morgan was, too. I walked outside of my room and I saw that her door was open. I didn't bother to look and see if she was in there, I knew she'd be done already.

  Downstairs, she was sitting on a stool by the island with her dress on, scrolling through her phone. This time, she didn't hear my footsteps. I walked up behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist, causing her to jump a little.