chapter forty-six

Morgan

February 3, 22

  25 minutes earlier

  I had been sitting on the stool in the island for barely five minutes when I got a call. I was scrolling on TikTok when I got it, so I was quick to answer. I was excited when I saw it was from Sierra.

  "Hey C," I said, putting the phone up to my ear. I leaned my free arm on the counter and laid my head on it. I was still tired from Neymar waking me up. 

  "Hey Morgan, how are you doing?" She asked from the other end of the line. I smiled when I heard her voice, tracing circles on the counter. "Good, Neymar went to pick up his parents," I yawned, closing my eyes for a short second.

  "You're going to meet them?" She asked, confused. I nodded, but then I forgot that she couldn't actually see me and I had to speak. "Yes," I opened my eyes again, still tracing patterns on the marble kitchentop.

  "I needed to call and relay a message," Sierra said hesitantly, changing the topic. "What is it?" I asked, more aware of the conversation now. I sat up on the stool and adjusted my position. 

  "Christian wants you to call him," she spoke softly, and I groaned. "No!" I replied almost immediately. "Please, it's important," she said, her voice now a whisper. I sighed. 

  I didn't really want to, but he was my brother, eventually I had to talk to him. I continued to lean against the counter. "Fine," I gave in. I threw my head back and groaned again. "What do I even say?" I complained.

  "You don't have to say anything, just listen to him," she assured me. 

  With that, I hung up the phone after saying goodbye to Sierra. Immediately, out of anxiousness, I called my brother. It took me a second to find his contact, but when I did, I took a deep breath.

  I clicked "call" and shifted my position again excitedly. After a second of ringing, I decided to get up and pace around the kitchen. It wouldn't help my nerves, but it would give me something to do.

  It stopped ringing. I continued to pace around, passing the refrigerator. It started to ring for the second time, he still didn't pick up. I passed the fridge again. The second ring stopped, and I put a hand on my hip. 

  By the third ring, I heard the line go silent. I assumed he picked up. "Hello?" I asked nervously, making sure he was there.

  I was really hoping Neymar was here, to calm me down, so I wouldn't have to do this alone. Neymar didn't deserve to get beat up like that, even with his reasoning. 

  "Morgan, please, just let me talk," he sighed, it sounded almost like he was relieved I called. I didn't say anything back, but I continued pacing. "Okay," I spat out after a minute. I closed my eyes and quietly coughed, feeling a little congested.

  "I'm sorry for doing that to Neymar, seriously, I regret it so much," he said sympathetically. I didn't know whether to believe him or not. "I want to protect you, and I want what's best for you, always," he spoke softly.

  "I saw the post on Instagram, and I didn't know why, but I believed it. I got so angry," I could tell he was about to cry. "I was afraid he was only using you for your body," he sniffled. I almost rolled my eyes, but I stopped myself. I knew he was so dramatic.

  "Are you done?" I asked after a minute. "Yes," he softly replied. I took a deep breath, ready to tell him my thoughts. "I understand where you're coming from," I paused. "But please, I'm begging you, just let me be happy and do what I want while I still have time."

  I felt myself become teary-eyed, but then I stopped myself. I promised myself; no more crying. I wiped the single tear that fell with my empty hand and continued. "I just want you to stay out of my personal life, please," I asked, hoping he'd hear me for once.

  He didn't say anything, the line went silent for a minute. I walked over to the couch, sitting down. "Please?" I said eventually, breaking the silence. I looked at the clock beside the TV, I knew it wouldn't be too long until Neymar would be back.

  The line was still silent. "I have to go, please text me," I said, hanging my feet over the couch. I pulled the phone from my ear and hung it up. I sighed, taking a deep breath. At least we didn't argue at all.

  I laid back down on the couch, finding myself drifting off to sleep.

  Present

  "You're gorgeous," Nadine smiled, refusing to let go of my hands. I tried to act comfortable, but deep inside, they were getting a little closer than I'd like. Neymar really wasn't lying when he said they were a lot to deal with.

  "Thank you," I smiled in response, looking over at Neymar. He was looking at the floor, daydreaming. I didn't think anything of it, instead I turned to Neymar's father.

  "It's so nice to meet you," I smiled, not sure whether to hug him or not. He had a smile plastered on his face, though through it I could sense he wasn't, say, happy?

  He embraced me, which made me a little more comfortable knowing I didn't have to. I hugged him back, pulling away after a moment. "I've heard so much about you," he looked into my eyes. "You as well!" I giggled, looking to Nadine and Rafaella. 

  "Well, I say we all get situated and ready, Junior here has a big game tomorrow!" Nadine said, realizing I was looking at her.

  She walked a few feet to the island where I had been sitting before. She picked up a purse, taking it over to the room that was down the hall.

  I'd been in it, Neymar told me he kept a bedroom for his parents and one for his sister downstairs. I was almost glad that I got the upstairs with him. 

  --

  We split up in to our own rooms, except I had gone to Neymar's. We settled on the bed, and I took my usual side. I was comfortable knowing I had a side on the bed. "Christian called," I said, settling in to his chest. I felt him tense up against me. "Seriously?" He asked. I almost giggled at his response, but I managed to keep it in. "Yes, well, it's more like I called him," I looked up at him, and we made eye contact. He was paying close attention to what I was saying.

  "Why?" He asked curiously. I shrugged. "Sierra told me to, so I did."

  "And, what happened?" He kissed my temple from above me, rubbing my back. I felt butterflies in my stomach at our close contact. "I heard him out, then he heard me out, then I hung up," I summarized it. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, hoping he wouldn't ask for more details.

  Fortunately, he didn't, and soon I felt myself drifting back off to sleep. 

^^^ author's notes:

ineffable love will be out later today !!