chapter forty-four

Neymar

February 3, 22

  Not long after Morgan fell asleep, I decided that I should probably leave for the airport. I managed to get her off of me without waking her, laying her on the couch. 

  I left at around 12:30, getting in to the bugatti and heading off for the airport.

  I realized that without Morgan in the car, the silence, it was deafening, so I put music on. When I was at a red light, I looked up the songs she was playing earlier and put them on.

  I started with the Taylor Swift song she had put on, I remembered the name of it. It was Delicate.

  The song started. This ain't for the best, my reputation's never been worse, so, you must like me for me. When I heard the words, I started smiling. This was definitely the one. 

  I turned it up, and the light indicated I could go again. Dive bar on the East Side, where you at? Phone lights up my nightstand in the black. Even though I didn't understand the lyrics that well, it reminded me of her, and it made me happy. The beat was also catchy.

  This ain't for the best, my reputation's never been worse so, you must like me for me it repeated. I turned to the right, realizing I had missed the turn I was supposed to take at the last intersection. Over the bluetooth, my phone made a dinging noise which told me I had a text.

  I picked up my phone from the center console and looked at it, realizing that it was my sister. Third floor on the West Side, me and you. Handsome, you're a mansion with a view. Do the girls back home touch you like I do?

  We just landed, but they aren't letting us get out yet, so it might be a while, are you here yet?

  I responded with on the way and quickly put my phone back down. I was a little more unfamiliar with the area, being that I missed a turn before and I haven't had to take this route a lot. 

  We can't make, any promises now can we, babe? But you can make me a drink. 

  I moved around a little bit in my position to become more comfortable. My thighs were starting to fall asleep.

  I was paying attention to the music, but also to my own thoughts. And, obviously the road. Is it too soon to do this yet, 'cause I know that it's delicate. 

  My mind drifted off to the call I had gotten from Ronaldo earlier. I knew it probably didn't mean anything, but how did he know Christian, and Morgan? Was there something she wasn't telling me? It made me tense up a little bit.

  I was snapped out of my thoughts when the song ended and another one came on. Vintage tee, brand new phone. High heels on, cobblestones. I knew immediately it was still Taylor Swift, and I decided to leave it on to continue thinking. 

  I took another left, which would take me to the east wing of the airport, where Rafa said their gate was. Sequin smile, black lipstick. Sensual politics. When you are young, they assume you know nothing.

  My mind trailed off to my previous thoughts. I thought it might be a good idea to ask Morgan about it sometime, but I knew if there was anything she wanted me to know, she'd say it.

  And then my mind went to Christian. What if there was something he told Ronaldo? It was making my head spin. 

  All of this seemed sketchy. I knew I couldn't trust Cristiano, but who told me I was to trust Christian and Morgan either? When you are young, they assume you know nothing.

  I parked my car and then immediately got out, grabbing only my phone and AirPods. I paused the music, it was near the end of the song anyway. This route seemed a lot quicker. 

  It was a long walk; considering how many cars were parked outside of the airport. I didn't park in the garage, considering it was in the west wing and I'd have to walk all the way to the east just to get in to their gate.

  I walked up closer to the airport, putting my AirPods in. The song that I had on before ended, and another Taylor Swift song came on. We could leave the Christmas lights up 'till January. And this is our place, we make the rules.

  I started to get closer, now maybe a twenty or so meters from the entrance. I put my hands in my pockets. Can I go where you go? Can we always be this close, forever and ever?

  I thought about it more. I didn't have Christian's number, I couldn't call or text him. I knew that if I did, though, I'd tell him that I was sorry about the rumors and even though I didn't deserve that, he has a right to protect his twin sister. 

  I also wanted to ask him if he knew Ronaldo personally. You're my, my, my, my, lover.

  It was getting to my head, and that was the last thing I wanted. I wanted to focus on my family, football, and Morgan. I took my phone out of my pocket, and stopped the song. I kept walking, but I called Lionel. I hoped he'd pick up. 

  After the second ring, he picked up with his sleepy voice. "Hello?" He said, and I immediately laughed. "I'm glad you're awake," I said, being a little more serious. "Yeah, thanks to you," he said with an unamused tone, his voice a whisper.

  "You know what I told you at dinner about Ronaldo? Well, I've really been thinking about it," with my free hand I scratched my neck, looking up at the building which was appearing closer now. 

  "I don't know why he'd just.. call.. and say that?" I added, in a questioning tone. "Continue.." Messi whispered. "I don't know. I want to get Christian's number, and apologize and stuff, I also want to ask him if there's something Morgan's not telling me," I said, sighing. 

  I was now closer to the building, and people were loitering outside. I decided I wanted to whisper for the rest of the conversation, so no one would find out about my situation. I was glad I hadn't been approached already.

  "I think I have it, do you want me to text it to you?" Leo said, not opposing to the idea. "Yeah," I shrugged. "I have to go," I said, hanging up the phone without another word. People were starting to direct their stares to me as I walked up the few steps to the airport.

  My phone dinged again, and I looked at it before I put it in my pocket. It was from Rafa.

  We're coming out, just wait outside, we will be there

  I stopped in my tracks, moving off to the side away from everyone else. I responded with an okay, and with that I stayed there, waiting at the entrance for them.

  I put my phone in my pocket, but it dinged again. I assumed it was Messi sending the number, I decided that I'd text him back later, along with calling Christian. 

  One of the many doors opened, and I saw my sister. The people around us were looking at me, but none of them approached me or asked questions. I walked up to my sister, and my mother followed behind her.

  "Hey there," I smiled, hugging her with both of my empty arms. She put her luggage on the ground and hugged back. I heard a camera go off, but I wasn't bothered.

  A few seconds later, she pulled away, and I went to hug my mom. "Junior, you look so good!" My mom smiled as I embraced her. I looked behind her to see my dad, who had a smile plastered on his face.

  "Thanks, mae," I smiled back, a little embarrassed. I went to my dad next, walking past my mom and Rafaella. "Hey, pa," I smiled, embracing him. "Hi, son," he replied. 

  When he pulled away, I crossed my arms and walked backwards a few steps. "Do you want to get going?" I asked.

^^^ author's notes:

what do we think morgan is hidinggg?

don't forget to vote ;))