Chapter 8: Telling John and Blade's history, killing Dragonetti

They make it back to the hideout. As they do, Blade and John go to their rooms to rest. The heroes all ask Whistler about them. So, he tells them everything about John and Blade. As he talks to them, he smokes while fixing his brace on his leg. 

Whistler: I found Blade when he was 13. He'd been living on the streets, feeding off the homeless. His need for blood had taken over at puberty. I took him for a vampire at first. Almost killed him, too. Then I realized what he was. Blade and I found John when he was about 16. We found him in the woods, feeding off the animals. We took him for a vampire at first as well. Nearly killed him too. Blade then saw he was like him. Blade and John's mothers were attacked by vampires while they were pregnant. Their mothers died, but they lived. Unfortunately, they'd undergone certain genetic changes. They can withstand garlic, silver, even sunlight, and they got their strength. This time tomorrow, all those wounds of theirs will be healed. They still age like humans, though. See, vampires age slower than us. Unfortunately...they also inherited their thirst.

Weiss: The thirst for blood. 

Karen: I thought the serum was supposed to suppress that. 

Whistler: Time's running out. (Sighs) Their bodies are starting to reject it. So far, all my efforts to find a cure have failed. 

Goofy: We can help you find a cure for them. 

Penny: Yeah. Maybe we can help you. 

Whistler: (Looks at them) I don't know. It's gonna take a lot of time. (Drinks Jack Daniels)

Winter: Jeez. I think we got ourselves another Qrow over here.

Ruby and Yang both giggle at the mention of their uncle. Weiss and Blake both shake their heads at this. 

Karen: Why do you hunt them?

Whistler: I had a family once. Wife and two daughters. And a son. He was still a baby, before a drifter came calling one evening, a vampire. He toyed with 'em first, tried to make me decide which order they'd die in. Luckily, my son was sound asleep when it happened. But I had to send him to a relative's house, to keep him safe.

Everyone listens to him. They all feel for him, hearing about his family dying by the vampires, and only his son survived. 

Whistler: We kill as many of 'em as we can find, but it's getting worse. 

Karen: Because of Frost.

Whistler: There's something happening in the vampire ranks. It's something big...and I'd stake my life that son of a witch is at the center of it. And that new guy, Invader? I think he has something big for John. And I don't like it. 

The heroes decide to go see John while Karen goes to see Blade. They find him sitting on his bed, looking at the window. 

Sora: John. 

John: (Looks at them) Hey. 

They all walk in, and they look at him. 

Kairi: Whistler told us what happened to you. About your mother. He told us what you are. You're a half vampire. 

John: (Sighs) To be honest, I don't really know what I am. Look at me. I'm not even human. 

Ruby: But you look human to us.

John: Humans don't drink blood from bodies. I was supossed to be born a human. But that was stolen from me. 

Jaune: What happened to your father?

John: I don't know. He probably took off somewhere after he saw what happened to my mom. I was...taken to a government facility. They all tortured me while experimenting on me.