Chapter 15. || The truth

The last months had been strange. You started to notice how some patients began to act off at some points as if something in their minds had switched.

For example.. Some of them had sudden rage outbursts. It wasn't like you've never seen that happen, it used to happen all the time in Smith's Grove but it confused you how some of the patients who had those outbursts were instantly taken away by the guards and when they returned their whole demeanour had changed. They acted happy and normal as if nothing had happened seconds ago, as if they weren't locked in a mental hospital. It was weird, slightly scary even... What did the guards do after taking them away?

But you didn't think that much of it. Something had probably messed up their minds. They were out of their minds. That was probably the explanation for their weird changes in behaviour. Besides, they were here for a reason.

The only thing you still didn't have an answer for was the weird medicine the 2 guards were talking about. You could've asked your doctor... But what if you weren't supposed to know about it? What if it would get you into trouble? Then you'd never be able to escape... For now, you just had to keep it to yourself, you had to find the answers to your questions yourself.

You didn't want to risk your chances to escape... Because that is still your main goal right now. 

.

.

[29 September 2004]

It was midnight, you were peacefully sleeping.. Suddenly, it felt like someone was stroking your hair.. You thought of Michael. Your mind was instantly filled with the thought of Michael. It made you remember the way he stroked your hair... Your head moved out of nowhere like it was on autopilot. You leaned into his touch...

But suddenly.. You realised you weren't dreaming and someone was actually touching your hair.

Your eyes shot open and you saw a guard hovering over your sleeping body. You gasped softly and pulled your head away. "I-- What the hell are you doing!?" You said madly while looking at the guard with widened eyes. The guard backed away in shock the second you pulled away, he probably didn't expect you to wake up. "What the..- Why are you awake?" The guard whispered in confusion. He was standing in the darkness of your room, looking at you with a raised brow.
Your eyes narrowed at the guard.

"What do you mean why am I awake- What are you doing in my room!?" You replied with anger while you sat up on the bed. "Shh! Shut up they're going to hear you!" The guard whispered as he came closer. While he started to come closer, the slight light coming from outside hit him and made his face clear to you and you realised who he was. Mason.

"Mason? I-- What are you talking about!?" You said while looking at the guard in confusion. You were lost right now, you had no idea what he wanted and why he was in your room.

"Shh!" Mason said while stepping towards your door. He looked for anyone outside and then slowly closed it and walked back towards you. You backed away from him, bumping into the wall. You still didn't trust him, and neither did you know what his intentions were. "It's okay I'm not going to do anything, but how are you awake?" He asked confusedly while crouching in front of the bed so he was at eye level with you. You grabbed the sheets tightly, looking at the man crouched in front of your bed. "What were you doing in my room?" You said with a demanding tone. "[Y/N] I--" Mason said but before he could finish his sentence, you cut him off. "I said, what were you doing in my room?" You spoke again. 

The guard sighed. "Look I just came here to check on you, I wasn't planning to do anything to you." Mason spoke. You were still suspicious of him but you gave a small, slow nod. "Why are you so concerned about me not being asleep though..?" You asked him, lowering the tone of your voice a little as your suspicions increased. "Because of the pills, they're sleeping pills-- you.. You should be asleep." Mason said with slight surprise in his voice. "Sleeping pills?" You asked, you actually thought those pills were anti-depressant pills. Those calm your mind, right? Give you less negative thoughts and shit? Oh well, it seemed like you were wrong. "Mhm, have you even taken them?" He asked, raising a brow.

You didn't take them, you knew something was off about it in the first place. You didn't trust to just randomly take some pills without knowing much about it... "Yes, they probably didn't work, that's all. I've tried using sleeping pills in the past too, never worked either" You lied, trying to make it sound convincing. "I see. Do you remember the first night you were here? Were you awake that night?" He asked.

You nodded.

"Have you heard the whole conversation I had?" Mason asked curiously as he stared into your [E/C] eyes. You gave him another slow nod while the guard slightly looked away. "I'm glad I changed his mind, especially if you were awake, it would've been painful."  Mason mumbled under his breath while you tilted your head in confusion. "Are you talking about that dangerous medicine?" You asked as his eyes shifted back to you. "Do you know about the medicine?" He asked with raised brows, showing surprise. "No, the only thing I know about it- Or well, heard about it, is that it's dangerous. You didn't say much about it that night." You said while he nodded, rubbing his forehead. "You were supposed to get it too, I've been skipping you for 5 months now." He told you, letting out a soft scoff. "Why?" You asked.

"I don't know, guess you're just lucky." Mason muttered before he paused as you stared at him with confusion. "I feel like you do want to know what this mysterious medicine is huh?" He said, hearing a slight chuckle from him while you nodded. "Electrotherapy is what it's been called. Every night the patient gets a pill, the sleeping pills I told you about, so if your doctor ever told you patients have to use it because it calms their mind, then he is right. It's a sleeping pill, you'll be actually able to sleep peacefully if it works... But in the meantime, after the patients took their pills and are asleep, they will be taken every month and will be brought into a special room where they'll be given electrotherapy. It's a form of treatment for mentally ill people by using electroshocks. It gives a patient shocks that will affect their brain. The doctors in here think it helps but even if it does, it still stays dangerous." Mason said, explaining what this mysterious medicine was as you listened with interest.

You looked at the guard, shocked. "But... Is that even legal? It's not am I right? Especially if they haven't given consent to it" You said in disbelief. The guard shrugged, "I don't quite know, but It seemed to help some patients I guess? Some of them got to go home eventually, but they did have to return every month for a so-called check up but while they're doing that the patient will be brought to sleep by another pill and they'll give them another electroshock therapy session." He sighed. You slowly shook your head in disbelief, it was unbelievable, this place was far worse than Smith's grove... "So no patient ever knew about this?" You asked while he gave a nod. "And- And the guards? Do all the guards and people who work here know about this!?" You questioned. "No, not everyone." He replied.

You suddenly heard a noise coming from outside the door, Mason alarmedly stood up and looked at the door before looking at you and whispering, "Go to sleep, pretend I was never here." And quickly stepped out of the room before you could even respond.

As you heard the door lock, you opened your eyes and thoughts slowly began filling your mind again.

Why would they use electrotherapy without telling the patients? Why did Mason skip you? Why was he in your room in the first place? He had answered most of your questions about the medicine, but he had never told you why he was in your room... Stroking your hair... That was quite creepy if you had to be honest..

You turned around to lay flat on your back as another noise came from outside your door. You ran your hand through your hair and sighed as you closed your eyes.

I can't stay here.

______________________

Author's note.

Hi everyone, I just want to apologize for being so unactive and for letting all of you wait so long for another chapter. I've been going through quite a hard time and I've been struggling with my mental health, causing me to lose interest in writing.. But I do want to try to continue to write this book because I can't just keep all of you hanging and discontinuing this book. So for now, thank you all for reading and expect another chapter to get published soon. :)