Chapter 20. || What next?

[ 6 October 2004 ]

You just had another session with Doctor McTavish. He was shocked by your outburst and had a dozen questions for you to answer. You tried your best trying to seem innocent yet it was hard to contain the anger and rage you felt. But to your luck, the doctor felt bad for you and let you go with a warning after you put up another innocent girl act. You were surprised that he didn't plan on giving you shock therapy, also known as 'the medicine' as every guard calls it that. Due to Mason, you knew that most patients who had outbursts were immediately brought to the therapy room where they'd be brought to sleep and given shock therapy in order for them to calm down... You wondered why the guards didn't instantly bring you to the therapy room, yet you didn't mind much of it and decided to let it go... Not like you wanted to go in there anyway.   

....

You sat in your room, on your bed, something you did as usual. You always sat in your room. Besides, it was the only thing you were actually allowed to do at the moment. You let out a sigh, you were thinking much lately, too much. Not just about your childhood and all the things that had happened these past days, but also about Michael, when you'd see him again, and how you will. You knew you had to escape. You didn't fully know how yet, but you'd figure it out, you knew you would.

But what would you do after? Just go to Smith's Grove and get Michael out? No, it wasn't that easy. You knew you could escape from here but Smith's Grove? You weren't sure. You knew there were probably many more guards due to the fact that the absolute worst citizens of Haddonfield were in there, not like there were no bad people in here, you knew most of the people in here were just as crazy as in there... But you were the only person who had attempted to murder someone, at least, you guessed you were.

And you assumed Smith Grove had gotten more cameras and guards after what had happened on your last night there... So what if they'd catch you if you ever tried to break in? Then you could say goodbye to your freedom. A sigh escaped your mouth.

'Michael would escape. He promised me.'

A voice inside your mind said as you remembered the few words he wrote the last time you had seen him. Your mind went silent for a second. He promised you he'd escape. You knew he would keep his promise.'Right?'

Suddenly the door opened and your head shot towards it to see a guard standing in the doorway... "Hey [Y/N]" The guard said. "Mason" You sighed. "What? Not happy to see me? If so I'll go tell my new info about the medicine and the girl to another patient, if you don't seem to mind?" He said, using a slightly mocking tone to tease you. He turned around and grabbed the door handle. "No no! Wait I- Tell me about the medicine-- And the girl." You replied quickly as he was about to open the door. He turned around again and gave a slight laugh while you rolled your eyes at him.

He approached you and crouched in front of your bed. "Okay so first off, the girl." He paused as you gave a nod. "She's indeed your half-sister [Y/N]... Layla [L/N]" He said. Your face went blank with slight shock. You were right.

Mason let out a sigh as he saw your expression. You slowly shook your head in silence as your eyes moved to the floor. "I can't believe my father. That means he cheated on my mother, got another woman pregnant and proceeded to not even tell me or my mother the truth. He could've at least told me I had a sister." You mumbled with a sigh. "I feel truly sorry for you, the way you found out about this." Mason said as your eyes locked for a second.

"It's not your fault. It's his." You said, looking away in silence again as anger started to form in your eyes.

Mason placed a hand on your shoulder to try to comfort you. That confused you and snapped you out of your anger for a second. Your head slowly turned towards him again, slightly tilting your head at the guard. "Is there something wrong?" He asked you as soon as he noticed your behaviour.

"Not really it's just..." The anger you felt for your father was soon dimmed by some sort of confusion. "Why are you helping me?" You asked the guard who looked at you with a slight hesitant and nervous smile on his lips. He kept quiet as the both of you stared at each other. He didn't know what to tell you. "It's not that I don't appreciate your help but... You're a guard, and I'm a patient, a murderer. I'm sitting in front of you, uncuffed, and full of rage, yet you're still sitting here, without any slight bit of fear or distress showing on your face. You treat me so differently than the other guards, you even tell me certain things I'm not even supposed to know... So my only question is why?" You paused, scanning his face and seeing the nervous expression he had. "Why do you help me, Mason?" You questioned, lowering your voice slightly.

 He was still quiet.

His hand went up to the back of his head. "Look... Let's- Let's talk about this another time, for -now, I need to talk to you about the medicine, we don't have much time but it's important." Mason quickly said, changing the subject. He was right about that, but something still confused you, why wouldn't he just tell you? There had to be something he was hiding. "Alright." You mumbled.

"Look, someone noticed that I've been skipping you ever since you came here, this person knows you've never gotten electro therapy yet and that I am the cause of it. They've told it to one of the doctors, I'm not sure who but they don't trust me anymore, [Y/N]. From now on you'll HAVE to get shock therapy and I can't do anything about it anymore." Mason paused. "I'm not allowed to bring anyone to the therapy room anymore, they think I'm skipping everyone now that they found out I've been skipping you." Mason added. Your eyes widened at his words. Your eyes moved away from his face as thoughts rose through your mind.

You didn't want anyone to mess with your brain or mental health or whatever, you didn't want this. And you knew you weren't going to allow it. Not in any way. You took a deep breath before looking at the guard in front of you again. "Mason, please, do you think you'll be able to change their minds for at least a few more months?" You asked the guard. He gave you an unsure expression, "[Y/N], as much as I want to help you, I don't think I can. I'm sorry." He sighed.

Your lips slightly pursed while your eyes looked at him in disappointment.

"Alright... I--" You stopped. You didn't plan anything, you didn't know what to do... Your mind started to become a haze now while Mason looked at you in a worried manner. Your eyes looked around your room and suddenly landed on the mask on your desk. You looked at it in silence as you could see Mason wanting to say something to you now in the corner of your eye. But he noticed you were deep in your thoughts as your eyes were fixated on the mask... 

'What would Michael do?'

Suddenly a thought popped up in your mind. Michael was always 2 steps ahead of people, you knew that. So what if you used that? Make a plan so you'll be 2 steps ahead of the doctors. Kill them, escape? You just needed a little help...

"When will my first shock therapy be?" You spoke all of a sudden, looking back at Mason who was slightly concerned. "Hm... 29th of October if I'm correct." Mason replied as the confusion was still seen in his expression. "Look, would you mind helping me with something then? You don't have to do much other than just stick to my plan alright?" You said as the confused guard nodded.