[ XXVI ] YOU WERE HERE, ALL ALONG

MIN ARI 

What happened last week still bugs me up until now. I can't seem to concentrate at anything. My mind is filled with unanswered questions. I don't know what and who to trust, anymore.

"Is Alas' quarters here?" I asked the guard standing near the northeast wing. He first bowed at me before hesitantly nodding.

"Yes, Your Highness. However, Alas is currently not here—"

"Thanks."

I didn't wait for him to finish his sentence. I immediately walked towards a dim tunnel-like hallway that is leading to Alas' quarters. Sunghoon told me they'll be back after weeks, and it's still been a week, so I will use this opportunity to visit where Alas is staying to find some information.

He's my brother. I get that I shouldn't doubt him, but something feels not right. I feel like I should dig deeper.

As expected, the door was locked, but I have the spare key so I was able to unlock it. The door creaked open. I swallowed hard before groping the walls to find the light switch.

My mouth widened when I got to see the room's interior. It's like a penthouse. Everything was so clean and cozy. I didn't expect this to be so wide. I will surely have a hard time finding clues.

I first walked towards his king-sized bed. I feel guilty invading his privacy, but I also can't just ignore my congealing guts.

"Why is everything so clean..." I groaned in frustration. I can't seem to find a single thing.

"Fine! Let's find harder, Ari!" I'm like a lunatic talking to myself. I opened the drawers of his bed side table. There were some documents but those were just about Ariaden.

I gave that place up and started walking towards his walk-in closet. He has a lot of clothes, shoes, bags— everything! However, I can't find a single clue!

I am starting to think that Sanghoon might be fooling me.

Right...

Sanghoon is Sunghoon's twin. I'm reminded of an Ariaden edict that forbade having a royal twin. They forced Sanghoon to leave Ariaden and decided to keep Sunghoon... and I saw Sanghoon's eyes.