[ XXXIV ] FEIGNING IGNORANCE

PARK SUNGHOON

Her eyes widened in sheer fright as she felt trapped in an overwhelming and suffocating situation. I felt her hands on my chest, slightly pushing me away, "That hurts..."

In an instant, it felt as though I had been slapped, a sudden jolt that brought my senses back to life. I immediately removed my tight grip from her arm, "I'm sorry..."

She couldn't bring herself to raise her head, but I could see her eyes darting around, as if she couldn't grasp the situation and desperately wished to escape. Her confusion was palpable, and it was clear that she was searching for a way out. 

"I wasn't cheating." She muttered in a small voice, "I wouldn't dare to cheat, Sunghoon..."

My eyes remained at her. "Explain, then. Make me understand, Ari."

"It was... just..." Her voice quivered, and tears welled up in her eyes, trickling down her cheeks. She locked her gaze with mine, and the vulnerability in her expression nearly pierced my heart. It felt as if I was being drawn in, captivated by an enchanting spell.

She was unable to provide any answers, and deep down, I knew I wasn't prepared to face the truth just yet. I don't want to hear the truth from her, and if she chooses to lie, I'm not ready to hear it, either.

"Sleep now." I delicately tugged her arm, drawing her closer as I slowly planted a kiss on her forehead. "Good night, my wife..."

I find comfort in silence, even though there are countless unanswered questions swirling in my mind. It could be that I'm consciously opting for this, because I know that facing the truth would only bring more pain.

But am I truly making the right choice? Does feigning ignorance truly bring me solace? Does it really... keep me away from pain?

The night is deep and cold. I stared at her peaceful face as she slept, gently running my fingers through her silky hair.

"If your intention is to seek revenge, to make me suffer for all that I have done to you, then perhaps, Ari, you have succeeded." I whispered and slowly stood up from her bed. 

I strode purposefully toward her recently renovated garden, which now bloomed with an abundance of new plants, breathing life into the space. It appeared more vibrant and animated than my previous recollection.

"Fuck." A curse escaped my lips involuntarily as my gaze fell upon the silhouette of a person seated on a wooden chair, her attention fixed on a particular flower. With a mixture of annoyance and resignation, my eyes rolled instinctively as I instantly recognized who it was. "What are you doing here?"

Her gaze briefly met mine before diverting elsewhere, as if she couldn't bear to hold my gaze for long.

"Don't know. Shitting, perhaps?"

My forehead creased at her vulgar answer. I marched towards her direction and sat in front of her. "When did you start liking her?"

She cast a searching glance in my direction, her eyebrows furrowing as if deep in thought. Then, she uttered words that caught my attention, "Since... I met her."

"When I escaped from the confines of our kingdom, burdened by the weight of my royal status and the dark deeds of my family, it was Ari who welcomed me with open arms. I couldn't reveal my true identity, yet she accepted me wholeheartedly. She gave me a job, a home, and most importantly, she became someone I can call my friend..."

She looked down. I saw her gulping hard, her fingers were uneasy.

"I first believed that my feelings for her were purely platonic, born out of a strong friendship. However, as time passed, something shifted within me. The mere thought of her being with someone else became unbearable. Witnessing her immersed in love, especially with you, stirred emotions I hadn't anticipated."

"It was... unexpectedly painful..." She looked at me, "Extremely painful that it drove me to the point where I yearned to snatch her away from you."

A scoff escaped my lips. "And? Do you think she will be happy about that? Marrying her to your brother so you could monitor her better? Do you think she will be happy knowing that the friend she trusted for years... is the sister of her family's murderer?"

Her laughter cut through the air, a bitter edge to her voice. "And do you honestly believe she's happy with you?" she retorted. "You have no idea how many times she shed tears over the way you mistreated her in the past! No one is worthy of her. Not you. Not me. No one, Park Sunghoon."