42 - Cypher, Pt. 3: KILLER

Jungkook

She enters my studio with a hesitant stroll, like she feels uncomfortable for invading my personal space. Her blonde hair is carefully styled in a perfect ponytail, weirdly high for her features yet somehow complimenting her eyes.

Suggestively batting her long eyelashes, she takes small steps toward me, and then it hits me.

Fuck.

I completely forgot.

"Now, I don't want to be annoying, Jungkook," she excuses herself in a saccharine tone, "But Yoongi said that if I show up, you may speed up the process."

Why am I not surprised? Yoongi adores using peer pressure.

"Forgive me, CL." I nervously scratch the back of my neck, "I've been out of town for two days, and I just got back to Seoul a few hours ago."

She waves her hands in an understanding manner like I don't have to explain myself, but I do. It was Monday morning when I went to Busan, and working on her video was undoubtedly the last thing I cared to stomach.

Not because I don't give a shit, but because being directly and shamelessly threatened by Kwan trapped my mind in the most challenging puzzle I had to solve. Two days of atrocious insomnia, tyrannical worries, and poisonous thoughts.

The one thing I needed was to return home to the only one who could calm the storm in my head and help me sail again in my quiet sea. However, I forgot that she would work until five, so I found our home empty, her addictive vanilla scent ghosting the air.

That's one.

Because secondly, I didn't yet have the chance to explain to her about my visit to Busan. If our phone call ended with a sweet 'fuck you' from her, well, the messages we exchanged in these two days were not far from that either.

Me (Monday, 18:02): I hope you had a great day at work. I miss you like crazy.

Faye (18:58): I did. 🗡️

Me (18:58): I'm happy to hear that, princess. Anything interesting?

Faye (19:41): Yeah, I found this lovely quote in a book. 🔫

Faye (19:42): "Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days, you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life."

Her "lovely quote" felt like a slap over my face, knowing she unwillingly delivered something that fit my situation so fucking well.