51 - Telepathy

Faye

"I don't know what, I really don't. But something is different about you," he mumbles, taking a hasty sip from his coffee, burning his lips, "It's like... how should I put it?"

"Like I am in my honeymoon phase?" I try to guess, but he dismisses me with his hand.

"Somehow, yes," he blows the steams away and waits before drinking, "But at the same time, it's like you booked this amazing suit at a fancy resort. It has five out of five stars, breathtaking views, and breakfast is included."

"But?" I giggle, which only annoys him more.

"But once you get there, you notice that the bedsheets are dirty, the shower is broken, AC doesn't work, and you got food poisoning from the shitty breakfast."

I roll my eyes, "Does this have anything to do with the fact that I had a mini-holiday?"

The fingers Himchan collects in a fist look almost threatening if it weren't for his whiny voice. And as I look at him, I realize I don't know much about him. Sure, he's funny and friendly and was the first person who talked to me when I got hired, but I don't know him.

He could die any time, and I wouldn't know what I miss about him.

If there is anything to miss – and I'm not saying this from a bitch point of you.

I simply find it curious how we form relationships that are both extraordinarily superficial and somehow deep. Like the stray cat you see daily when you go to the store. You look at her, approach her, pet her, give her some food, and pet her again. You know how much you'd suffer if anything happened to her, but there aren't strong enough reasons to make you take her home.

So, I am wondering when is the click. When do we become uninterested? Or better said, when do we become selfishly interested in us?

It was so much easier when we were children.

Going to other kids and saying, "You're my best friend now," and it actually meant something. It meant everything, in fact. We grew up together and watched each other evolve, developing some personality traits that did not match ours.

But we were accepting them. Eagerly. Patiently.

We were so much more understanding than we are as adults. And at one point in the timeline, we did that unconscious 180 and decided that a person has to meet a thousand terms and conditions, and not even to be our friend, but merely get in our proximity.

She is lovely, beautiful, seems trustworthy, and loyal, but she likes gossiping too much. No.

He is tall, handsome, an incredible listener, and gives mature advice but likes to sleep around. No.

And Himchan... he's funny and friendly and was the first person who talked to me when I got hired, but I can't call him my friend. Although he never gave me a reason not to.