Chapter 4

~Clarissa's POV~

   I yawned as I walked out of the bathroom from my shower wrapped in a towel and my hair hanging loose past my shoulders. The sun was just coming through the window and I watched my room light up. I picked out a light blue dress with white and pink accents along the skirt and the sleeves only came to my elbows. I loved the lace on the edges and would easily fall in love with this one. I managed to control my hair to be half up and left the rest to curl around me. I loved my look and hurried out the room as I noticed I spent a lot of time on my hair alone. I found Vincent sitting with the other princes and shyly waved at him. He did a quick wave and looked to his other friend as he said something.

"Rissa, does it hurt when you get your powers unlocked?" I turned towards the first year and smiled gently.

"No, it won't even pinch. You'll do great." They quickly nodded and ran off. I wonder why they asked me about that? Oh! The first years get their fingerglow today! I had a smile thinking about my own fingerglow ceremony.

~2 Years Ago~

   I was rubbing my wrists as I walked from the cafeteria to the main hall for the fingerglow ceremony. No one was saying anything about it and I felt nauseous. I put a fake smile on as I talked with Vincent and another princess.

"I heard that it hurts when they turn the key." He said and I shared a look with the princess. She looked pale and I feared she was going to faint.

"Vincent." I nodded to the other princess and he saw my worries. He put a hand on her back and she quickly looked up at him.

"It probably isn't true. Don't worry." The princess nodded and took deep breathes.

"Welcome Evers and Nevers! Today we will unlock your fingerglow." Professor Olyia started.

"It will prove to be invaluable because when it glows you have begun to tap into emotions powerful enough to cast a spell." The Professor Xavor continued. I let out a shaky breath and looked to the other princess that Vincent was holding.

"Do not fear Evers, good feels no pain." I felt relieved hearing that and smiled back at the princess. She gave me a small smile back.

"Nevers, it's going to hurt. Line up!" We all got up and walked to form a line in front of Professor Olyia. I was in front of the princess and I let her hold onto my hand as we walked up.

"Don't worry. We got you." I whispered to her before I was in front of Professor Olyia. She gave me a warm smile as I held out my finger for her. I watched the key go into my finger and twist but I never felt any pain. I smiled more and my finger glowed brightly. I moved away and smiled towards the princess. She nodded and held out her finger for the professor to activate her powers.

"Deep breath, Ginny." I watched as Professor Olyia helped her before activating her powers.

"It didn't hurt at all." She watched amazed as her finger glowed some. We smiled at each other and went to sit down and wait for Vincent. He came bounding towards us smiling like an idiot.

"That was amazing!" He exclaimed loudly and he made us laugh. The princess next to us just nodded and bit her lip. I adverted my gaze and sighed as I looked at my fingerglow.

~End of Flashback~

"Clarissa?" I noticed I was absentmindly eating my food when Vincent sat down. I also saw that we were the only ones in the cafeteria. He gave me a worried look when I finally looked at him.

"Everyone's been gone for a couple minutes. Are you okay?" I nodded and stood up to exit the hall. He caught up with me and walked alongside me.

"You were spaced out for a while. Anything on your mind?" I shook my head no.

"Just remembering when we got out fingerglow." I could see him have that far away look in his eyes as a smile came about on his lips.

"Yeah, that was a good day." I nodded along with him in agreement.

"Aren't you going to be late?" I asked him as we stopped outside my class.

"Nah. I'll just say I was escorting my princess to her class." I scoffed at him and he just smiled at him.

"Well, thank you kind sir." I giggled as I curtsied for him. I stood on my tiptoes and kissed his cheek that went red after I pulled away.

"Tease." He muttered and I just smiled at him.

"We got to make it believable." He shrugged his shoulders but kept smiling.

"I shall see you at lunch." He gave me a bow and walked away. I shook my head at him and walked into Magical History which was already started.

"Glad of you to join us Clarissa. Have a seat." I blushed and sat near the back as the lesson started. I tried paying attention but my mind kept tugging me back to Vincent's demeanor. He was my best friend but I couldn't help but feel like we could be more. I would say that was up to him but he knew I didn't want a prince. Perhaps-

"Clarissa?" I zoned back in to find the whole class looking at me expectedly.

"Yes, Professor Hall?" I asked giving her an apologetic smile.

"Date of creation of magic?" I nodded and thought about it.

"That is a trick question ma'am. There is no specific date of when magic came about." She nodded and continued the lesson. I paid attention to the rest of the lesson so that I wouldn't be embarrassed again.

"That's it for today's lesson. Don't forget to study for the test on Friday." Almost everyone groaned but I just smiled. I loved Magical History despite how other princesses don't. Leaving the classroom I noticed Vincent leaning against the wall.

"Hey." I smiled at him and he offered his arm.

"Hi to you as well. I hope you don't mind me escorting you to your next class." I looped my arm with his and shook my head no.

"I wouldn't mind if it was you." He took my books and pulled me along with him towards the gardens for our lesson out in the Blue Forest.