Chapter 15

~Lady Lesso~

   Classes start again tomorrow. I was finishing up my preparations for classes after dinner. I groaned as I arched my back, stretching it, from sitting stiff in my chair for the past three hours. I put the papers back together neatly before standing up. I took one step and gasped, grabbing my leg. I could feel fire licking up my leg. I walked through the pain where I kept the potion I use for this pain. Instantly finding relief I sagged against the wall still breathing heavily. I looked up and saw Rafal near my door.

"Couldn't handle a bit of pain, could you?" He chuckles as he walked closer to me. I stood up straighter as I felt a ghost of his breath across my skin. I couldn't tell if this was real or a hallucination but I didn't like it either way.

"Why are you here? You abandoned me." I spit out towards him. He turned around smirking as he walked away some. I put the empty bottle on the table near me, still watching Rafal. He circled around to the window, watching good's side.
"What I did was making you stronger. I can't babysit you all the time...but maybe I should at the moment. Your fascination with the Dean of Good is very intriguing." He chuckled turning around to face me. I hardened my features at his comment of Clarissa.

What does he know?

"She's a great counterpart. Balance and everything, remember?" He smirked having this far look in his eyes.

"Yeah...balance." He then dissipated in a cloud of red smoke leaving me to my thoughts again.

Why was he smirking? And why was he around now? He-he shouldn't know anything...he's not even real, right?

I shook my head to clear those thoughts away. It won't do me any good to dwell on them. I tightened my grip on the cane and walked out my office, locking it behind me. I followed my students to the dining hall for dinner and sat with the staff. I didn't see Clarissa anywhere but I did see Anemone.

"Where's Clarissa, Beauty Teacher?" I asked as I sat down finally.

"She wasn't feeling good so she stayed in her room. I do have a name Red." I narrowed my eyes but just shrugged off the name she gave me.

"Beauty Teacher suits you." Clarissa..sick? Fairy godmothers don't get sick. I ate some of my food but didn't finish it. I pushed it away and pulled a fairy towards me as I left.

"Bring up some soup and crackers to Clarissa's room." The fairy nodded and flew off. I hesitantly made my way up the stairs to where the good dean's room resided.

Was this even a good idea? Of course it's not, but maybe she really was sick. I only want to make sure she is okay. That's all.

I sighed as reached her door. I quickly rapped my knuckles on her door waiting for a response.

"Come in." Her voice was soft, like always. She didn't sound sick though. I slipped in quietly and saw her at the fireplace. I don't think she meant for me to come in...she looked like she wasn't here. I was careful not to make a sound as I walked towards her. Her eyes were puffy as it was...maybe she was crying. I kneeled down the best I could next to her and spoke quietly.

"Clarissa?" She looked over at me and sniffled. She must've been coming back so I started rubbing soothing circles on her back. So light that she couldn't really feel it but I know she did.

"Lesso? What are you doing here?" She wiped at her nose and I quirked my lips slightly.

"You weren't at dinner, I was worried about you." I explained as I brought back my hand. She sighed and closed her eyes. She looked exhausted but school didn't even start-!! Vincent...he...right...

"Do you want me to stay?" I asked quietly as I sat down because my knee couldn't stay like it was. She just shrugged as a small knock sounded and a fairy popped her head around the door.

"Put it over here." I pointed to the coffee table near us. Two other fairies carried the tray over to us. I saw a bowl of soup but also a tea cup. I heard Clarissa say a quiet thank you and then the fairies were gone.

"I'm guessing this was from you?" I nodded and pushed the tray towards her. She looked away from the food so I brought the tea cup around to her.

"At least have some tea. It's better than nothing." She just nodded and took the teacup and saucer from me. She took a tentative sip and I thought I saw a tear slip down her cheek.

"Earl grey...I thought I had these banned from the school." I wanted to ask so badly but I wouldn't push her to answer me.

"I will make sure they are from now on." I gave her a small smile and she just nodded. We stayed sitting in silence as she finished her tea.

"You don't have to stay, you know. I'll be okay." I knew she was lying but I didn't want to push her too far. I took her teacup and placed it back on the tray. I stood up and offered my hand for her. She took it, standing up with me.

"I will only leave if that is what you would want. Do you want to be alone right now?" She looked down and shook her head no.

"Stay...please?" I nodded and pulled us to her bed.

"If you aren't going to eat then let's get you some rest, alright?" She nodded and used magic to change her clothes into pajamas. I did the same, placing my cane by the nightstand and climbing up on top of the sheets. She did the same but we were laying a foot away from each other. I sighed and pulled her closer to me, letting her lay her head on my chest. I placed my head on top of hers to hold her in place.

"Get some sleep, I'll be right here." I whispered and kissed the top of her head, scratching her scalp some, while humming a simple tune that helped me sleep as a child. I thought I heard a ghost of a 'thank you' and smiled as I too drifted off.