Chapter 8

~Clarissa's POV~

Middle of the Next School Year

   I gasped as I quickly sat up from my bed. I was panting from the nightmare I had and closed my eyes trying to get rid of it. Vincent's blood stained face wouldn't leave my mind and I held onto my head to keep me grounded. I keep having these nightmares and no one knows how to stop them. This was the second one this week and the fifth one this month. I brought my legs up to hug them as I rocked myself to stop the shaking. I closed my eyes as tears were pooling out of them thinking of Vincent.

Flashback to the Beginning of the School Year

(A few days before the first day back)

I laughed as Vincent finished his tale of how he defeated his brother in a dual with fake swords. He was rather fond of his younger brother and I adored him for that. We were having a picnic before we ultimately had to return for our final year. The sun was still high in the sky but it was already past noon. I laid my head in his lap and hummed in delight as he ran his fingers through my hair. I left it loose because he always loved it down around my shoulders.

"I wish we could stay like this forever. It's so peaceful here." We were on a hill overlooking his kingdom this time. The flowers moved as the breeze blew through the valley around us.

"Me too." I smiled as I closed my eyes of the feeling of his fingernails against my scalp.

"So you're the one that has his interest." I quickly sat up and saw a girl clad in a dark purple dress glaring at us. She had a dagger in her fist and she was crying. I didn't recognize her so she must've been a Never.

"Claire, we've been over this. You need to leave before I have the guards over here again." He quickly stood up and shielded me from her view. I grabbed onto his arms and he briefly looked back at me.

"What does she have that I don't, huh?! Was I not good enough for you?!" Vincent tensed up and I was worried for our safety. I watched as the girl kept moving forward until she was about a meter away.

"I shouldn't have entertained the idea of us, I'm sorry. We were never gonna work and you know it." She scoffed and looked down at the dagger she held.

"We could've worked if you had actually done something! Was I just a toy to you?! Something you could play with for while and then discard?! I'm done playing nice!" She moved fast and pushed us both down. The breath was knocked from my lungs as I landed harshly on the ground. Vincent groaned as he landed on his elbows. I brought my arms up to protect myself and hissed as I felt the dagger slice into my forearms. She was about to bring the dagger down to lodge into my chest when Vincent moved in front of me.

"NO!" We both screamed as the dagger was struck into his chest. The girl looked distraught and moved away pulling at her hair.

"That was supposed to be you! He wasn't-wasn't, I didn't-" The girl crumpled into a ball and I turned back to Vincent.

"Please hold on. Please, I can't lose you." I was aware I looked a mess right now but I couldn't lose my best friend. He put a smile on his face and brought a hand up to cup my cheek. I leaned into it and held onto his wrist.

"I love you, Clarissa Dovey. I always-have..." His hand slackened but I kept his hand in place. I squeezed my eyes closed not believing this was happening. This was just a bad dream, it was all a bad dream. I opened them and Vincent's blood stained face was still there.

"No. No no no no..." That was all I kept repeating when the guards showed up. I was still holding onto Vincent and wouldn't move. I didn't want to let him go; letting go meant I had to move on. I didn't want to move on from him. I wish I could've loved him like he loved me but it was impossible. I felt magic encase me and saw the guards fingers glowing. I hugged Vincent close as we moved back to the castle. I never let go of him until his parents saw us.

End of Flashback

"Clarissa?" I looked up and saw the dean in the doorway. She saw me and knew I had another nightmare. I felt fresh tears spring up into my eyes and just let myself cry into her embrace. I hugged her tight and she reciprocated it back.

"It's alright honey. I know it hurts but it's alright." We stayed like that for a while but I don't remember going back to sleep. I woke up again and this time it was sunny. I remembered last night and willed myself to stop crying for at least the day. I saw a note on the nightstand and it was from the dean. I apparently fell asleep on her about ten minutes into crying so she made sure I was comfortable before leaving. It was Friday so I just had to make it through the day. I picked out my dress and fixed my makeup before leaving the safety of my bedroom. I tugged on my sleeves out of habit and fiddled with the bracelet that Vincent gave me in our second year here. He would always be with me even if he wasn't here now. I gulped as I heard many voices ahead of me. I faked a smile and walked in conversing with anyone that came up to me. Everyone knew not to bring up the topic of him and I appreciated it. I locked eyes with a certain Never and she only showed she was bored. I thought I could make out a hint of sympathy in her eyes but it was probably a trick of the light.