Chapter 11 - The Last Jedi

"What was that?" Holdo asks after Finn, Rhys, BB-8 and Rose eject from the ship.

"Nothing, admiral. Passing debris." Connix lies, looking to where Poe and Pandora hide. She nods, letting them know that Holdo is in the dark.

"I really hope this plan works." Pandora says as they move down the hallway.

"It will." Poe tells her, slipping his hand into hers and squeezing. She smiles at him, thankful for his optimism. She thinks of her brother, hoping he'll be all right.

"The fleet's only got 18 hours of fuel left. We gotta hurry." Finn tells the others, looking at the screen. Rhys moves to stand behind his seat, resting his hand on his shoulder. Finn looks at him and they nod at each other, silently comforting each other.

***

"Okay. We get in, we find this codebreaker, we get out." Rose says as they near the planet.

"Either of you know this town? Canto Bight?" Finn asks.

"I think my parents have been here before. They didn't care for it. Hated it, actually." Rhys answers, hiding as many medical supplies in his clothes as possible. He hopes they won't need them, but he'd rather be prepared.

"From stories. It's a terrible place filled with the worst people in the galaxy." Rose tells them.

"Yeah, that's what Mom and Dad said." He replies.

"Great." Finn says. Rhys chuckles and pauses to kiss the top of his head.

"We'll be fine." He assures as Finn steers them towards the beach. He lands and they quickly head towards the city, knowing time isn't on their side.

"Aw, yes! This place is great!" Finn says as he looks around the casino.

"Really? I already hate this place." Rhys replies, glaring at everybody around them.

"Me, too." Rose adds, rolling her eyes at Finn as he wanders around, in awe of everything he sees.

"Aunt Maz said this Master Codebreaker would have a red plom bloom on his lapel." He says, looking around.  

"Let's find him and get out of here." She tells him. He nods.

"I agree. I've got a bad feeling about this place." He replies. They start to walk away, and Rhys rolls his eyes when he sees Finn still standing where he was, staring at the tables. He grabs his hand and drags him with them as they look for the Master Codebreaker.

"We've covered this whole casino. Zero red plom blooms. Where is this guy?" Finn says after they've walked around the whole building.

"If Aunt Maz said he'd be here, then he's here somewhere." Rhys tells him. The building shakes and they duck, grabbing onto each other to stay on their feet.

"Were those what I think they were?" Rose asks. She moves to one of the balconies, Rhys and Finn following behind her.

"What are those things?" Finn asks as they watch the creatures run around the track below.

"Fathiers. I've never seen a real one." She replies.

"Look, this whole place is beautiful. I mean, come on. Why do you guys hate it so much?" He says.

"Look closer." She tells him. He looks through the binoculars as she continues, watching the riders zapping the fathiers. "My sister and I grew up in a poor mining system. The First Order stripped our ore to finance their military, then shelled us to test their weapons. They took everything we had. And who do you think these people are? There's only one business in the galaxy that'll get you this rich."

"War." He replies.

"Selling weapons to the First Order. I wish I could put my fist through this whole lousy, beautiful town." She says. Rhys nods.

"My parents said the town has two people. Criminals and the innocent people they abuse and take advantage of. Mom wanted to burn the city to the ground. Dad would've let her, but they had us to think of. We should raise hell while we're here, make my Mom proud." He explains.

BB-8 beeps loudy as he approaches them, excitedly telling them that he's found the man they're looking for.

"Red plom bloom!" Rose exclaims. BB-8 leads the way inside and they run after him, stopping when they spot the Master Codebreaker at one of the tables. "The Master Codebreaker!" They begin to run towards him, but someone steps in their way.

"Yep, those are the shuttle parkers." He says. Officers zap the three and drag them to the jail, tossing BB-8 outside.

***

"I'm definitely burning this place to the ground." Rhys mutters, glaring outside their cell.

"Not now. Guys, the fleet is running on fumes. Without a codebreaker to break us onto Snoke's Star Destroyer..." Rose says. Finn slams his hand against the bars angrily. "What do we do?"

"I don't know. Unless either of you got a thief in your pocket, our plan is shot." Finn replies with a sigh.

"Um, I can do it." A voice says. They turn, spotting someone laying on the cot on the other side of the cell.

"What?" Rose asks. Rhys moves in front of them, grabbing the small blade he hid in his boot. It was made for medical use, but it'll definitely hurt if stabbed with it.

"S-S-Sorry, I just couldn't help but overhear all the stuff that you were saying really loudly while I was trying to sleep." The man says, sitting up and looking at them. "Codebreaker? Thief? I can do it." Rhys rolls his eyes.

"First, it's none of your business. Second, we're not talking about picking pockets." Rhys says.

"Yeah. D-D-Don't let the wrapper fool you, friend." He replies. Finn and Rhys both roll their eyes. "Me and the First Order codeage go way back. And, if the price is right, I could break you into old man S-S-Snoke's boudoir." 

"No." Finn says, shaking his head.

"We're...We got it covered." Rose adds. The three squeeze onto the cot, sitting with their backs to the wall. Rhys tightens his grip on the knife, eyeing the man as he moves towards the cell door. He does something to the latch and the doors open.

"What the hell?" Rhys mutters as the man steps out the door and waves before moving down the hall.

"Did he just-" Finn asks.

"Yeah." Rose says. 

The three jump off the cot and run out the door, quickly escaping the jail through the sewers.