Chapter 18 - The Last Jedi

"It's Kylo Ren. Luke's facing him alone." Poe tells the others, lowering the binoculars. 

"I'm going out there. I'll talk to Ben-" Pandora says, walking towards the exit. Poe grabs her around the waist before she can get too far.

"No, wait. Wait." He interrupts, looking through the binoculars again. He watches as they stand across from each other, then ignite their lightsabers. "He's doing this for a reason. He's stalling so we can escape."

"Escape? He's one man against an army. We have to help him, we have to fight." Finn says. 

"No, no. We are the spark that'll light the fire that'll burn the First Order down. Skywalker's doing this so we can survive." He argues. He turns to the others, pulling Pandora with him as he walks. "There's gotta be a way out of this mine. Hell, how did he get in here?" He says, Pandora stumbling behind him as she turns her body to try and get a glimpse of Ben.

"Sir, it is possible that a natural unmapped opening exists. But this facility is such a maze of endless tunnels that the odds of finding an exit are 15,428..." 3PO tells him, quieting as Poe shushes him and tells him to shut up. "To one." He finishes.

"Listen." He says.

"Oh, my audio sensors no longer detect the-" The droid begins.

"Exactly." Poe interrupts. Pandora slaps his arm.

"Don't be rude." She scolds, disliking how often he doesn't let 3PO finish. 

"Where'd the crystal critters go?" Finn asks. They spot one last critter before it turns and runs down the distant tunnel.

"Follow me." Poe orders. The group turns to Leia, Din, and Cordelia. Leia looks behind her, then at the couple at her side.

"What are you looking at us for? Follow him." Leia says. 

Poe smiles and grabs Pandora's hand, leading the way after the crystal critter. Leia smiles as she watches them, glancing at Din and Cordelia and patting their arms before following the group.

***

"No. No, no, no." Poe says as they watch the last critter crawl through the tiny gap in the rocks blocking the way out. "No!" He yells, spotting the small hole. Pandora looks over his shoulder and glances around, her eyes landing on her mother.

"Oh, no. I'm not doing it." Cordelia protests, knowing exactly what she's thinking. "I'm too small to get through there." She argues as Pandora grabs her arm and pulls her towards the rocks.

"Thanks, Cordelia." Finn tells her as they near.

"Yeah, whatever." She says grumpily, waving her hand dismissively. 

She begins carefully climbing across the rocks, grumbling under her breath. The rocks begin to move under her, and she stumbles, falling and landing in Din's arms. She smiles and winks at him.

"I just fell for you." She jokes. He groans, rolling his eyes. She laughs and kisses him before he sets her on her feet.

Poe, Pandora, and Finn move past them, leaving through the now empty exit. They spot Rey standing in the clearing, her arm raised as the rocks float around them. She spots them and Finn runs to her as the rocks fall to the ground. 

The two friends hug each other and Pandora sighs, leaning into Poe's side. 

***

"How long are you going to be mad at Finn?" Pandora asks her brother. She watches as he organizes his medical equipment, making sure they're just the way he likes them.

"I don't think that's any of your business." He replies. She rolls her eyes and tugs on his arm, getting his attention. He stands and turns to face her.

"You can't be grumpy forever." She tells him.

"Watch me." He says, crossing his arms over his chest.

"You're the worst. But I'm a good older sister and I have a surprise for you." Pandora smiles, looping her arm in his and trying to tug him away.

"We both know there's no getting out of this. Might as well go willingly." Poe tells Rhys. He sighs, but stops fighting her, letting his sister lead him towards the Falcon's bunks. They reach them and she shoves him inside before shutting and locking the door.

"What the hell, Dora?" He yells, spotting Finn. He turns and slams his fist against the door.

"You two aren't leaving this room until you talk things out." She explains. He hits the door again and she rolls her eyes. "Have fun and don't kill each other!" She adds before walking away. Rhys keeps his back to Finn, standing as still as possible.

"Can we talk?" Finn asks, taking a step closer.

"No." He replies, anger clear in his voice. Finn sighs and looks at his feet.

"Will you listen at least?" He asks. Rhys stays silent and he takes that as a yes. "I know what I did was stupid, but I had to do whatever I could to make sure you were safe. I knew you'd be able to get over me, you'd have your family. If I lost you, I wouldn't have anyone-"

"That's what you think?" Rhys interrupts, turning to glare at him. "That I'd get over you and move on? You've got it all wrong, Finn. If anything happened to you, I'd never get over it. You're the most important person in my life and I love you. Don't you ever say anything like that ever again or I swear I'll-"

He's interrupted by Finn rushing across the room and crashing his mouth to his. Rhys tenses for a moment before relaxing, all the anger leaving him. He sighs into the kiss and wraps his arms around Finn, holding him close.

"I'm sorry." Finn whispers after he pulls away, resting his forehead to Rhys's.

"I know." He replies, kissing him again.

***

Cordelia and Din sit on either side of Leia, each holding one of her hands. Leia's head rests on Cordelia's shoulder, the trio sitting in silence and mourning the loss of Luke. 

Pandora approaches and Leia squeezes the couples' hands before standing. She pats Pandora's cheek before giving the family privacy. She sits between her parents and they wrap their arms around her, pulling her into a tight hug.

"I'm sorry." She whispers, squeezing her parents tighter. They both kiss the top of her head, doing the same to Rhys as he joins them a few minutes later. 

Din and Cordelia share a look, hoping that by the time this fight is over, their children won't have to experience any more losses.