three

"Yeah, yeah, I know who you are, and I don't need you. I need your brother. You know -- the Ph.D. who trained for years for this mission." Grace snapped, a scowl on her face. Rachel opened her mouth to speak, to stick up for her brother, before Jake spoke.

"He's dead. I know it's a big inconvenience to everyone." Rachel was burning with fury. How had he just said that? Tom was their brother. She almost had to have Norm hold her back, but she had to focus on her control.

"How much lab training have you had? Ever run a gas chromatograph?" Grace asked expectantly. "Well?" She added when Jake didn't reply.

"No." 

"Any actual lab work at all?" 

"High school chemistry. But I ditched." Rachel tried her hardest not to roll her eyes. If the Na'vi didn't kill him, Grace would.

"You see? You see? They're pissing on us without even the courtesy of calling it rain." Grace nearly yelled. "I'm going to Selfridge. Rachel, walk with me." Rachel wasn't quite sure she wanted to walk with Grace right now, but she didn't think she had a choice. Giving Max an apologetic look, she followed after Grace.

Grace stormed down the halls, taking various twists and turns so it was hard to keep up with her. She found herself falling behind, trying desperately to catch up. Rachel turned a corner and nearly ran head-on into Grace, who was tapping her foot impatiently. She opened her mouth to say something when she paused and took a look at the full picture. She turned, walking again, but this time much slower. "I'm guessing you're wondering why I haven't let you see your Avatar yet." Rachel nodded, trying to urge Grace to get to the point. "What's truly fascinating is - your Avatar is more Na'vi than the others. The qualities of the Na'vi are implemented in yours - the bigger eyes, the more willowy body, the flat nose, etc."

"Be careful who you talk to, Rachel. They might think you're Na'vi, anyone really, and they might turn you in. Don't even trust your own brother." Grace said, putting a cold hand on her arm. "You can go now."

Rachel realized they had stopped just in front of her room. She put her finger on the thumbpad, turning to say goodbye to Grace, but she was already gone.

***

The next morning, Rachel woke up at 6:00 am, groggy and tired. Her roommate, Trudy Chacon, was a fierce, wonderful woman who wasn't at all afraid to speak her mind. They had stayed up till ten pm talking, but after that Rachel had to call it in.

She dragged herself out of bed towards the bathroom, brushed her teeth, washed her face, took a quick, cold shower to wake herself up, and changed into clothes for the day.

She headed to the cafeteria where she got cold toast and a cup of cold coffee. At least it would wake her up. After that, she decided to head to the link room early to see her Avatar, and they were just hoisting her onto the gurney.

She leaned closer and gasped. Grace was right. She did look Na'vi, and she was beautiful. Is that really me?

As Rachel stared at her, someone walked in behind her. She whirled around, but it was Grace. "You're early," Grace commented, approving. 

"Well, you know the saying, if you're on time you're late." Grace laughed a little at that and held out a hand to Rachel.

"Ready to link up?"