nine

Rachel stayed still for several moments, staring at the ceiling of the Avatar House. She rolled over, looking at Jake's Avatar, lying peacefully next to her. The door screeched open and Grace turned around, clapping her hands.

"Rise and shine!" Grace yelled. She looked at Rachel who was clearly awake and blinking from the sudden bright light. "Rach, we leave in ten." Rachel nodded and stood up, still relieved at being able to walk quickly.

Jake and Norm's Avatars sat up suddenly, and they both rubbed their eyes, their tails wrapping around their bodies. Rachel stood up, grabbed a pair of loose shorts and a t-shirt from the small cabinet, and headed into the private changing area.

In less than ten minutes, everyone was ready to go. Another ex-marine joined them along with Trudy, as none of them knew how to fly. They entered the Tilt-Rodor, strapping themselves in tightly as the doors were still wide open, and Trudy didn't seem to have the intent of closing them.

As they lifted off, Rachel was finally able to relax. Finally, she was able to get away from Hell's Gate.

***

They flew over a lush green rainforest, then past sheer cliffs and cloudy areas. The ex-marine leaned on his black and white gun, scanning for any predators. 

"Sturmbeest herd, one o'clock," Trudy said as she banked to follow a river. Rachel stuck her head out the open door and watched in fascination as they thundered by.

"I think it's a bull, six cows, and a couple of youngsters," Rachel looked at Grace for confirmation, even though she knew she was right.

"The bull has the red on the dorsal armor?" Norm asked, and Grace nodded, smiling at both of them. Her eyes flew to Jake, and then her face contorted back into a disapproving chuckle, and Rachel bit back a laugh.

Hundreds of Tetrapterons skimmed the water, purple-winged creatures which made waves in the lake. Trudy flew them over a cliff and then lowered them down right in the middle of another forest, in a sunny clearing.

"I'm going to stay with Jake if he wanders off," Rachel told Grace. "He's my baby brother, and I don't want him to get in trouble." Grace nodded, and Rachel followed after Jake, leaping from root to root. Soon, Grace and Norm joined them, and they headed into the jungle.