seventeen

That night, after Rachel had gotten changed into proper Na'vi attire, she decided to skip the dinner and asked Tsu'tey to lead her straight to the sleeping quarters. He'd hissed at her and rolled his eyes of course, but he did it anyways. 

She climbed into the hammock and shifted her position until she was comfortable, trying not to think about the many feet of hair between her and the ground. She wasn't scared of falling, she was just being wary. Besides, any Na'vi in the camp wouldn't be opposed to snapping the hammock for her while she slept.

Okay, maybe she was a little scared.

Besides, she had no idea when she would return to the link room, possibly never. And if she apparently couldn't return as she slept, she most likely wouldn't return if she died either. 

She shut her eyes and cleared her mind, slowly drifting to sleep.

***

The next morning, if one could even call it that, Rachel was given a rude awakening, and had to spend her first moments of the day staring at Tsu'tey's scowling face instead of the metal of the linkpod as she hoped. "Get up," he spat in Na'vi as she slowly blinked awake. "We will eat, we will go into the forest, and you will learn to hunt."

"The sun hasn't even risen yet." She shot back. 

"And this is my problem how? Now move." He stalked away and she groaned, pushing herself out of the hammock and jogged to catch up with. He lead her to what she assumed to be the dining area, and he handed her Melon Tree fruit the size of both her hands. He opened his own and ate the insides, and she followed suit. 

They headed into the forest when the sun could barely be seen peeking through the tops of the trees. As they walked past, Rachel could see the Na'vi waking up and beginning their tasks for the day, yet many were still asleep. 

And it wasn't long at all before the Hometree disappeared from view completely.

a/n: i'm so sorry for the long wait for the chapter! i've been extremely busy these past few months. please consider, voting, commenting, and even adding to your library if you're enjoying this story!

- sage

p.s. thank you all so, so much for 18k reads. i honestly can't express my gratitude. i love you all so much!