sixteen

"What?" Jake's voice cut through the silence like a sharp blade to butter. "She can't be one of you. She's a-" Rachel elbowed him in the stomach, effectively shutting him up. Mo'at turned to Jake, taking several steps towards him. 

"What are you called?" She inquired, studying him like a bug she'd never seen before.

"Jake Sully."

"Hm. Why did you come to us?" 

"I came to learn." He replied, shifting a bit uncomfortably under her gaze. 

"We have tried to teach other Sky People. It is hard to fill a cup that is already full." Mo'at said, circling Jake. She picked up his tail, giving it a harsh tug, and he stumbled a bit, scowling at Rachel as she stifled a laugh.

"My cup is empty. Trust me." Jake commented. 

"What are you?"

"I don't know. I was a Marine - a warrior of the Jarhead Clan." Rachel smacked her palm to her forehead, wondering for the millionth time how much of an idiot her brother was. 

"A warrior?" Tsu'tey hissed. "I could kill them easily." Rachel glared at him, silently daring him to mess with either of them.

"No! This is the first warrior dreamwalker we have ever seen, and the first dreamwalkers to receive signs from Eywa. We need to learn more about them." Eytukan said, stopping Tsu'tey.

"What's going on? What are they saying?" Jake whispered loudly over Rachel. She motioned for him to shut his mouth. 

"Daughter. You will teach Jakesully our way. Tsu'tey, you will do the same for Haiì." Tsu'tey scoffed, looking away, and Neytiri hissed in protest. "They are your responsibilities." Rachel's mind already started running through all the ways she could make Tsu'tey's job harder. "Learn well, Jakesully and Haiì."