eight

Jake glanced between Rachel and Grace, Grace and Rachel, swinging his head back and forth. Rachel tried to smile, to say something, but the crushing fear glued her lips together, forcing her to remain silent.

He wasn't supposed to know.

If this went back to Quaritch, he could use her to get close to the Na'vi, just to betray them later. Even that would be worse than death. "It's a small genetic mutation, easily fixable. We've already started working on fixing it, using some of her Avatar's genes. We'll find a solution by the time we get back," Grace lied smoothly, running her fingers through her hair. Jake nodded and looked at Rachel.

"You okay?" He mouthed, and, a little surprised, she nodded, finally managing a small smile.

"As I was saying, since Rachel looks like them," Grace started, paused, and added, "For now. She and Norm can get them back to the table before things go tits-up for good."

"Somehow, this is failing as a pep talk." Norm ground, rubbing his eyes. 

"They'll contact us," Rachel said to Jake. 

"If they see us taking samples, treating everything with respect, not trampling everything in sight." Grace looked pointedly to Jake, raising he brow. Jake managed to look a little sheepish. Jake shook his head. 

"Or they may skin us and make us into drums..." Rachel rolled her eyes, finding the third link and alerting Max that she was going in. He shut the link, and, just like last time, she closed her eyes and tried to prepare for what was ahead.