six

The next morning, Rachel woke up with a start around four am, her head pounding. She stumbled towards the window, trying to be quiet, and fiddled around for her bag for Carbilac, the newest anti-headache medicine.

Finally taking it out of her back, she took it out of her bag and took one of the pills, waiting for the headache to subside. It didn't. Sighing in frustration, she briefly glanced out the window and paused, her eyebrows furrowing.

A small, white, jellyfish-like creature floated there, so close to the window it nearly counted as touching. It was glowing faintly, and it popped up and down as it floated.

It was a Woodsprite, one of the Na'vi's most sacred creatures. They believed these creatures symbolized purity and were a direct message from Eywa. Rachel gently placed a hand on the window and was surprised when the Woodsprite landed on it, in sync with her hand.

It was then that she noticed the dozens of other Woodsprites floating around, and, one by one, they began to land on the window until it was completely covered in glowing white.

The white turned different colors, created a screen somewhat like a movie. In it, but with no sound, she saw Jake speaking with Colonel Quaritch.

She gasped. It was never a good sign if someone in the Avatar program was speaking to Quaritch.

Trying to ignore the bad feeling in her stomach, she looked away from the window as Trudy fidgeted in her bed.

When Rachel looked back, the Woodsprites were calmly floating away again, leaving nothing but Rachel's heart behind.