four

The joy and excitement that welled up inside of her were really hard to contain. A wide smile broke out on her face as she nodded excitedly. Grace laughed and led her to one of the link units. She pressed a button that opened the unit and Rachel hauled herself in, albeit a little slowly.

"She's going in 10!" Grace shouted. "This is one of our best working ones. You'll be fine." The reassurance was helpful because now Rachel realized she was nervous as well. Really, really nervous. She was going to go into her Avatar for the first time. That simple fact was a little nerve-racking. 

Taking deep breaths, Grace attached a headset to Rachel's head, which would help her go into her Avatar. "Deep breaths, close your eyes, clear your mind." And then Grace pushed the button again, closing the link unit as it slid into the wall.

Deep breaths, close your eyes, and clear your mind. Rachel closed her eyes, making sure to breathe, and cleared her mind.

A tunnel of colors flashed behind her eyes before it was dark again. She slowly peeked one eye open, before opening both fully. Three scientists hovered over her, and one wave his hand over her face, waiting for a reaction. She flinched a little, her ears pinning back.

"She's awake." One of the scientists said, and the other gave him an Are you serious? look. The scientist held three fingers over her head and asked, "How many fingers am I holding up?"

"Three," Rachel replied, and found that her voice was different. It sounded Na'vi.

"Interesting," Max noted, "She only has four fingers and a Na'vi accent."

"Can I have a mirror?" Rachel asked, wanting to see what she looked like again. One of the scientists passed her one, and she held it up to her face. Her hair was long and wavy, and a long queue braid sat in the middle of it. 

She did indeed only have four fingers and what was most interesting was that her eyes, instead of being yellow, were a dark shade of gray.