CHAPTER 3

Jasmine looked across the conference room as she presented the statistics for the new company and the profit margins for their investment.  Everyone seemed pleased as she handed out the portfolios presenting the financial numbers. Austin was always impressed at how she was so thorough and excellent at articulating her presentations. Coleman Enterprises would be another huge investor for the Harris enterprise. 

After the conference room was cleared Austin helped her pack up her folders. "You were amazing," he said. "Thank you," Jasmine smiled appreciating the compliment. Austin gasped at her smile and would do anything to keep that smile on her face. Jasmine was always professional but when she smiled it sent his heart into a frenzy. John Coleman entered the conference room. "Can I see you a minute?" he requested looking directly at Jasmine. Austin did not like the intrusion at all. Jasmine did not want to be rude because this company had just signed on with theirs. "Of course," she said being cordial. She could see Austin did not like this at all. 

Jasmine stepped outside to talk with Mr. Coleman. "Jasmine Patterson, you were quite impressive and detailed," he said. "Thank you, Sir," she said. "Please John," he said. "Okay," Jasmine said not quite sure how to respond. "I would love to take you out to celebrate," John announced. Jasmine was not prepared to go out but Mr. Coleman was putting her in an awkward position. If she said no it may be considered rude by the board who always require staff to keep clients satisfied. "Okay," she said at a loss for words. John smiled pleased with her answer. "I'll be waiting downstairs," he said staring at her closely. 

Jasmine went back into the conference room and met Austin's questioning eyes. "What did he want?" Austin asked lifting the boxes. "He wanted to ask me out to celebrate," Jasmine said quietly. "What?!" Austin said angrily. He knew the classic move to lure persons into dates to make them feel obligated after closing a deal. "What did you say?" he asked. "Okay," Jasmine admitted. Austin could not believe it. For years he flirted and begged for a date with Jasmine and she always said no but this guy she met two minutes ago got a yes. 

"Why are you angry? I had no choice. Like you said I was stuck. It would not look good being rude to the client," she pointed out to Austin. Austin still did not like it. "Well, don't let me keep you from your date," he said. Jasmine left him there and thought he was being childish. Austin was jealous but angrier with John Coleman for cornering Jasmine into a date.

When they arrived at the restaurant Jasmine still felt a bit awkward but decided she would play along to get this so-called date over with. John Coleman was a smooth talker, handsome but boring in Jasmine's eyes. He spent most of the evening talking about himself and his accomplishments. Jasmine hated to admit it but she knew a date with Austin would have been different. "Jasmine, you are a beautiful and intelligent woman. I would love to take you out again," he said. Jasmine wanted to say you are an arrogant man who I don't want to take me out ever again. But she did not express those inner thoughts.

"John, you are a handsome man and I am flattered. But this is where it ends I cannot go out with you again," she said as nicely as she could. "Why?" Are you seeing someone?" he asked as they walked to the elevator to leave. Why when a woman is not interested it means she is seeing someone, Jasmine thought. Jasmine decided to play along. "Yes, I am seeing someone," she said. "Or maybe you are just playing hard to get," he said drawing close to her. Jasmine was taken off guard when he slammed his lips on hers aggressively. She kicked him in the groin and ran out of the elevator.

A bit shaken she nervously called one of the numbers on her phone list, Austin. "Austin, please come and get me," she cried sending him the location. Austin heard the uneasiness and distress in her voice and was instantly concerned about her. He headed to his car without hesitation to get her.