CHAPTER 11

Jasmine tried not to stare at Austin. However, she felt something was wrong. He had arrived at the morning service surprising her with his presence. She thought he had changed his mind that Sunday morning when she did not hear from him right away. The praise and worship along with the teaching were powerful and meaningful. Austin was pleasantly shocked at how inviting the atmosphere was.  It was quite different and inspiring. The church congregation was multicultural and the presentation was clear and precise. Nothing was forced but natural, peaceful, and unique. Austin had never experienced anything like it before coming from a traditional background. It was good to be in an environment that preached the word of God and presented how to apply it to daily living. Austin felt the presence of God.

He was happy when he found Jasmine in the congregation and was able to sit next to her. She could feel something was bothering him. When it was time to pray Jasmine saw the tears streaming from his eyes. Jasmine slipped her hands in his to comfort him. They began to pray. After the service, they walked to her car. "What's wrong?" she asked touching his face gently. "Last night my mother had a heart attack," he broke the news. "That's why I am late coming from the hospital," he continued.  "How is she now?" Jasmine asked with compassion. "Okay but being monitored," he explained. "Come over to my place and let us pray for her healing before you go back to the hospital. We have to seek God first in this situation. I can come along with you if you like me to," Jasmine announced. Austin smiled and felt comforted knowing he had her in his corner. "Thank you," he said as they embraced. 

When they arrived at the hospital Austin met his dad and a few of his siblings who gathered together. They felt relief she was okay and needed to be monitored for a few days. Austin hugged his siblings. Jasmine watched from a distance intrigued by the family bond. Her family was filled with so many secrets and cover-ups. She wondered if they would ever be at a place of genuine love. His younger sister teased him, "I see you finally wheeled in Jasmine Patterson." Austin laughed, "We are just good friends." "She is here with you. That looks to me more than a friendship," Bethany stated. Austin ignored his sister and walked over to Jasmine telling her the good news. He grabbed her in his arms grateful for her support and the power of prayer. 

After that day Austin and Jasmine grew inseparable for months. In addition, Austin developed a closer relationship with God being around Jasmine. He simply needed to commit to becoming a Christian. He was around Jasmine at work, and home. However, he still could not get enough of spending time with her. Several months passed and he was convinced that he was in love with her. He had prayed about their relationship and was ready to confess his love. He called her that Tuesday evening with two things on his mind. 

"Hey, what's up?" Austin asked pacing the room as he talked with her on the phone. "Nothing much, just relaxing and trying to figure out what to tell my mom. She wants to know if I have made up my mind about the family reunion," Jasmine admitted. "Well, you talked about wanting closure to many wounds. Do you think this could be it?" he asked gently. Jasmine smiled knowing how much he cared about every aspect of her life. "When you put it that way it seems that I need to do it. But I don't know if I am ready. My family is a bit over the top with so many secrets," Jasmine admitted. 

"This cannot be the Jasmine who is always quoting the word. God has not given me a spirit of fear but love, power, and a sound mind. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," Austin reminded her. "When did you start learning the scriptures?" Jasmine teased. "I learned them from my mom and dad. Also,  from being around you and reading the word for myself," Austin stated proudly. Jasmine was so happy he was formulating a relationship with God for himself.

"Thanks for the advice," she said. "I can always go with you," he suggested already concerned about the situation. "That is so sweet but I can't ask you to do that. You have work and your own busy schedule. My family will focus on us too much. They may think we are a couple," Jasmine joked. Austin paused for a while realizing he was at a point where he wanted them to be a couple.  "Will that be so bad? You need the support and I am happy to assist. I am overdue for a vacation. I can stay at the hotel and be there if you need me," Austin explained. Jasmine was shocked by his response and quiet for a moment. Austin knew she was deep in thought and used the opportunity to invite her for dinner so he could finally confess his feelings.  

His sister was also pushing him to bring Jasmine to one of their family dinners. Most certainly, He was ready to take the next step but needed Jasmine on the same page. Austin ended the awkward silence. "Can I see you tonight? I am making your favorite, homemade spaghetti," he said trying to change the subject and make her more comfortable. Jasmine thought for a moment. Was she ready to be around him? Lately, she felt he was trying to tell her something and she kept avoiding that conversation or going there with him.                                                                   "Can I take a rain check?" Jasmine said. "I have a movie tonight with April," she admitted. Austin was a bit bewildered. Was she brushing him off? He was not letting her get away that easily. "Tomorrow, I really need to talk to you," he said. Jasmine sat on her sofa wondering what had him so anxious and desperate to talk to her.  "Tomorrow," she said. "Have a pleasant evening," he said a bit disappointed but relieved that he would get to see her the next day.