CHAPTER 7

Austin sat across from Jasmine at her dinner table enjoying her company. He could not believe he was there. After that night when he came to her rescue, she was more open and friendly. He hated what had happened to her but he was excited that they had found a  connection. But from the time it happened, he was concerned about what led her to be so broken. He did not want to push what was happening but he wanted to take her out. But for now, he would settle on her terms to make her comfortable. 

"The food is delicious," he said complimenting her on the baked chicken, broccoli, and rice. Jasmine smiled. "Thank you. But it cannot compare to what you did the other day. I can taste it now," she teased. "I may need you to cook again for me," she joked. "That could be arranged. I would do it in a heartbeat," he smiled staring directly into her eyes.

"Why do you do that?" she asked looking away. "What?" Austin asked innocently. "Stare at me with..... "Jasmin began. "Passion, fire, interest?" he asked. "No. It's hard to explain. You seemed to be analyzing all of me," she pointed out. Austin grinned, "All the beauty and soul." Jasmine said "OKay" not daring to respond to the comment.  "Moving on," she said with a smile. He was quiet because he yearned to hear her story.

After they ate she invited him to her patio to talk. Jasmine closed her eyes for a brief moment. This was harder than she anticipated. Austin sensed she was apprehensive so he gently took her hands to reassure her. "It's okay. If it is too soon we can hold off on discussing it if you are not ready," Austin stated. "No, it's okay. It's just hard," Jasmine said gently squeezing his hand. The contact was brief but Austin loved the warmth he felt.

Jasmine swallowed and thought, "Lord, help me." "The other day, I know I overreacted after what happened with Mr. Coleman, but it was because of my past," she began. Austin swallowed the gulp in his throat realizing what she was about to say was heavy. Jasmine leaned back in her chair and began the story playing with a thread on her dress nervously. Austin took her hands and gently kissed them. "It's okay, no matter what it is," he said. She smiled and nodded a bit more relaxed as he provided comfort.

"Well, when I was eight................. I was sexually abused by my uncle. It happened after my father died a few months after I moved into my grandmother's house. My uncle threatened me with a gun and assaulted me. It did not stop right away. It lasted until ........I was ten. He threatened my life and my brother's life so I was afraid to tell. Unfortunately,.......... my mother caught him assaulting me. He fled town to avoid authorities after it happened. For a long time, I was reserved, quiet, and did not trust easily. Basically, I focused on my academics for years and hardly dated. Sometimes I think I am over it and other times I just don't know," Jasmine started to break and tears streamed down her eyes.

Austin knelt down beside her overcome with emotions himself. His heart ached at her revelation. Austin knew it was something big but nothing like this. He too started to shed tears because he wished he could erase these horrible memories for her. Jasmine was touched by his compassion and gently wiped the tears from his eyes as they stared at each other. "Austin... I am broken and damaged. I am not good enough for..........................," Jasmine began. 

"Don't talk about yourself like this ever again. You are not broken and damaged. You are a gem. I am the blessed one to be around you. Nothing that happened to you was your fault. You are a beautiful, driven, successful woman. A survivor of abuse. Don't blame yourself but embrace your truth. It's time you control your narrative. You are a fighter. I love this about you," he said sternly. 

Jasmine smiled and looked at him in awe as he spoke so highly of her. Their hands lingered together as they remained looking into each other eyes. Jasmine could not believe he still felt the same way about her. "What happened to you does not change how I feel about you," Austin confessed.

Jasmine was caught up in the moment and kissed him softly on the lips. Where did that come from? she thought and blamed it on her mixed emotions and being caught up in the moment. His gentleness and sincerity were stirring up warm feelings inside of her."Sorry," she started to get embarrassed and turned away. Austin turned her chin towards him and anxiously captured her lips. He wanted this moment and longed to kiss her for a very long time. But most of all, he wanted to reassure her he was completely there for her every step of the way.