CHAPTER 22

Six months later

Jasmine placed on her accessories and looked at herself in the mirror. Austin had convinced her to celebrate her birthday with him at his parent's house. It had been a long time since she really enjoyed her birthday. She glided her hands across her beautiful red dress and placed on her makeup. When she heard the doorbell ring she smiled happily to see Austin. 

"Wow," Austin grinned admiring the lovely dress and appreciating the entire package. "You look absolutely breathtaking," he said. "Thank you. You don't look so bad yourself, "she teased getting her bag to leave. "Happy Birthday Jasmine," Austin said presenting her with flowers and kissing her on the cheeks. Jasmine blushed every time he complimented her. "Let's go birthday girl," Austin said escorting her to his car. "Are you sure your family is okay with celebrating my birthday?" she asked. "Of course, they are looking forward to it," Austin said trying not to raise any suspicion. "Okay," she said enjoying the drive in his car. Austin had planned a birthday surprise Jasmine would never forget.

When Jasmine arrived at Austin's parents she did not see anything out of the ordinary. She had visited the home several times over the last six months and gotten to know Austin's family more personally. It was official that after the family reunion, they were a couple. But Austin wanted them to be more than a couple.

Jasmine turned around and faced Austin as they walked into the house. She started to wonder why it was so dark but did not dwell on it. "Are you sure your parents are home?" she asked confused.

"Surprise," voices shouted and rang out behind her. Jasmine leaned into Austin's arm for support. "You did this," she said shocked at what was going on. "Love you," he said kissing her on the forehead. When Jasmine turned around she saw her mother, brother, his wife, niece, and nephew. She also spotted April and her new husband. Jasmine's eyes widened wondering what this was all about. 

"Happy Birthday," her mother said giving her a hug. "Big sis," Brian teased. "When did you guys all get here?" she asked still stunned at what was happening. April, her new husband, Bethany, Austin's parents, and other siblings all gave her warm hugs as well. Jasmine started to shed tears feeling overwhelmed by the love across the room. 

Bethany escorted Jasmine to the kitchen to see her birthday cake. Jasmine looked up and saw a banner that left her weak in the knees. It read "Jasmine, would you marry me?" Everyone started taking out their phones and Jasmine turned around and saw Austin on bended knees.

"Jasmine Patterson, would you make me the happiest man in the world by becoming my wife, my better half, my partner for life? Let's walk this Christian journey together united as one with God directing our paths," Austin said. 

Jasmine nodded her head with teary eyes and said "Yes." Austin slipped a gorgeous ring on her finger and captured her lips with a kiss. Everyone cheered and shouted "Congratulations."

Jasmine knew her life was about to change and she was ready to embrace her new beginning from this moment on.