Prologue

SALONA

Where the hell is my edge control?

Imagine my surprise when I go into my bathroom and open the drawer connected to my sink looking to see my eco-style gel only for it to not be there. I know i didn't lose it because I also keep my edge gels in this drawer. Which only means one thing.

I slammed the drawer shut and stormed out of my bathroom yelling throughout the house, "Lupe!"

A door down the hall slams open and harsh footsteps  sound off the wood floor. Moments later my sister Guadalupe appears in front of me wearing a frown on her face. "What?"

"Did you take my edge gel?"

She rolls her eyes saying, "Yeah why?"

"Because it's mine! Stop taking my stuff, it's not like your hair even needs gel anyway. Slap some water on your edges and they'll stay for the day." I say, annoyance laced in my voice.

She puts her hand on her hip, "You think your the only one who needs gel? My hair needs it too stop being so selfish."

"Then buy your own, stop using mine!" I yell.

"We are sisters we're supposed to share!" She yells back.

"Si no dejáis de gritar en mi casa, os mandaré fuera a vivir en las cloacas!" We both turn our heads seeing our mother standing outside her room in a bath robe with a face mask on.
(If you two don't stop yelling in my house, I will send you outside to live in the sewers!)

I suck my teeth in irritation.

"Suck your teeth again Salona. Your not too old to get slapped." My mom says, causing Lupe to chuckle.

"Sorry mama, I'm trying to get ready for Elena's New Year's party but Lupe took my edge gel." I say.

"Are you serious? You girls are damn near twenty and are fighting over edge gel?" She says in disbelief.

"Exactly! I'm too old for this so tell Lupe to stay out of my things!" I say, looking at Lupe whose rolling her eyes while playing with her nails.

My mom sighs clearly fed up with this conversation, "Lupe if you want edge control so bad then get a job and buy your own."

Lupe snaps her head towards mom, "Mom, I'm in college taking six classes. I don't have time to get a job."

"Then be broke I don't care just stop taking your sister's stuff. God I wish your father was home to deal with this crap cause I'm too tired you both are interrupting Jane the Virgin for me. Ahora cállate y vete!" She walks inside her room and slams the door shut. When my mom is upset her hispanic accent really comes through and it's terrifying.

I put my hand out towards Lupe waiting for my edge gel. She mutters curse words before going to her room to get my gel. She returns then slams the gel in my hand before storming off into her room.

I smile to myself before heading back to my bathroom to finish my hair. I tie my long burgundy box braids into a high bun before slapping my edge gel on my edges and using my edge brush to lay my edges. It takes me around five minutes to get my edges to look how I want them before taking my edge scarf and laying it on my edges.

As I'm taking out my makeup products to give myself a light beat my phone rings. I look down at my phone that's resting on the sink seeing my papa calling me.

After two rings I answer the phone, my father's harsh tone comes through the speaker, "Ou jwenn nan Amerik ak bliye sou granmoun gason ou an huh?"
(You get to America and forget about your old man huh?)